Upper control arm replacment

mpfi3100

Registered
would it be possible for someone to get me the proper procedure for replacing the upper control arms? I got the new parts in, but the Chilton manual is very vague (it is one of the full lincoln lineup and covers towncar and continental as well).

My book does not cover any of the airride, and it basically just says remove old part, install new part. I want to be sure it gets done right because I KNOW the previous owner didn't do it correctly.

Thanks
Taylor

Taylor, there are a few write ups on here if you do some searching.

I'll try to find something for you by searching for "upper" or "control" in the thread title in suspension. You can do the same but I'll find a good thread.

I did my uppers before anything and did it without removing the struts.

Here's the quick run down..... Jack up one side, lower frame onto jack stand, remove the tire, remove the air solenoid thus bleeding the air out of the air strut, supporting the lower control arm with a jack, remove upper control arm to spindle bolt.
Ok...now you can go two routes. Easy or hard. Easy would be removing the air strut, breaking the flags off the heads of the control arm bolts, loosening the two 18 MM nuts on the inside of the engine compartment just a tad and then use a ratchet on the heads of the bolts where you broke the flags off.

Hard way would be turning those 18 MM nuts the 1/4 turn at a time until you finally get them off. Then trying to squeeze the bolts out behind the air strut.

*sigh* I just couldn't stop myself.

i should have posted that I tried to search but my computer was acting up. Been having some weird issues with this site and firefox. Thanks for letting me know though.

I guess that's not a bad trait. Lol

I searched and couldn't find my pics.

To loosen the nuts, I used a 18 MM ratchet wrench and double wrenched it to get leverage to loosen it.

I guess that's not a bad trait. Lol

I searched and couldn't find my pics.

To loosen the nuts, I used a 18 MM ratchet wrench and double wrenched it to get leverage to loosen it.

Yup, just did this repair and used the same ratchet wrench methods as J. The toughest part is accessing the nuts on the drivers side because you have to remove the master cylinder to get at one of them.

FYI, make sure you buy the GOOD arms or you will be doing this repair on a regular basis.

Also, I'm not sure J mentioned it but, remember to turn off the air ride switch in the trunk before starting anything. I think getting the bolt out with the flag still attached will be easier with air bags because they have a little give as opposed to the coil springs which I have. :D

Good luck sir.

I've done it with ratchet wrenches, and didn't have to remove the master cylinder. I've done it on a few cars and didn't have to move the master cylinder, but it was much harder before gear wrenches.

Do you even need to bleed the air ride to do this swap? I don't think you do. Just remove tire, remove bolt at spindle / upper ball joint, give the upper a couple good whacks with a hammer to pop it out of the spindle, wedge a regular wrench on bolts in the wheelwell and go at the nuts in the engine compartment with a gear wrench. Pretty easy, but the gear wrench is key - it sucks doing it without.

No way!! If you don't bleed the air out of the bags, the spindle is gonna spring out and hit you in the face. Just like releasing a loaded coil spring!

I'm suprised no one mentioned the access hole to the control arm under the master cylinder.

Just remove the plastic fender liner and use a short 3/4" drive deep socket with a swivel, put it through the hole, and remove the nut that way.

You need to remove the airspring to remove the bolts also.

Bill, no one ever mentions that and I too am surprised. I even opened up that hole some to gain even easier access.

the easiest way to remove the bolts is pry the flags off the heads of the bolts in the upper strut tower, they are flag bolts, if you pry the flag off they are regular 15 mm heads, all you have to do, is put an 18 mm wrench on the nut of them bolts, and use a breaker bar and 15 mm socket on the bolts, break them loose then switch to a regular 3/8 ratchet to finish taking them out, when installing back in, do the same thing put the bolts back in, start the nuts on them, then hold the nut with wrench and use ratchet to tighten back up, simple, fast and doesnt require pulling the fender liner out for any access holes, and jesse, i have never once emptied the air from a strut before breaking the uppers from the spindles, i have never have the spindle shoot anywhere, you must have hit the pipe before you posted that!!

Jamie, you'd know I'm smoking the stuff you sell with you special headlight kits....

You pretty much reiterated what I said but with less periods. :p I don't know about you but explaining these repairs to the novice, I like to error on the side of safety. :)

i could make 90% of the repairs on these cars easier for everyone on these lincoln boards from all the 12 years of working on them i have under my belt but half the time i post stuff, you get select numbers of people who have to anaylize and re-invent the wheel and ask what if what about what if so i dont bother anymore. 65 minutes i have a blend door down to now, 65 minutes, i could have anyone down to that or dam close but why? i can rebuild the entire front suspension start to finish, uppers, lowers, end links, s.r bushings, tie rods all in about 2 hours. i have written and posted tips and short cuts so many times and half the things are ignored or people criticise so i dont bother to reply to technical posts anymore and then i see people having trouble or struggling trying to do something and i just ignore the posts. i'm no pro, but i have done more repairs and touched more mark VIII's than 90% of the population of these forums, not talking about modding them, strictly repairing and diagnosing problems with them, i have a serious file of info on these cars in a little tiny corner of my brain and its been fun the last 12 years learning so much about 1 specific car. but now when people call me and ask me in emails or online for help i dont bother anymore.

People take mechanics for granted Jamie, nothing new here. All my friends still want a deal but never call me just to have a beer. I totally feel you man. I would say that you've got more than just a little corner of Mark knowledge in your brain. :D

All my friends still want a deal but never call me just to have a beer. I totally feel you man.:D

Sorry, I think I may have been one of those friends.
How does this Sunday work for you?
Jamie you are also welcome. I know it's a long way to go for a beer, but I will buy. LOL

Back