abs sensor/ traction control

agent52

Registered
hello, been lurking for a long while. i have a 94 mk8. i had a puppy chew threw my right front abs sensor cable. is there a way to replace the cable it looks like coaxial cable. some time at start up the traction control would work up to a certain speed. is ther a way to trick the abs so the traction control would work thanks.

I believe that you would have to either repair or place the cable. You sure don't want only 3 wheels braking if it's an emergency stop! And as it's the front, you will be thrown towards the working brake. Others should chime in shortly (maybe after they get home from work) to advise further.

Bud, if the ABS detects a fault, it turns off completely so there will be no pulling. He'll just 4 wheel skid. :)

You're gonna have to locate a sensor for it, but humor yourself since it's already chewed and easy to remove. Tale it off and cut into the sensor wire. If it's NOT a coaxial type and has two or three wires, you can just splice some in there the same length and heat shrink it all up. That would be fine.

The wheel sensor wiring is a shielded 2 conductor cable with the shield being a common ground to all sensors.

The repair manual has troubleshooting procedures which indicate wheel sensor resistance must be 800-1400 ohms. There is a troubleshooting step which says to service circuit xxx if the sensor resistance is correct at the wheel sensor harness plug but not at the ABS module, so I would surmise the wiring could be properly repaired.

Back