Steering fluid leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering fluid leak

When the Blue Flame was on the lift getting the rear gear upgrade, I had the chance to examine the underside. Everything seemed good with the exception of what appeared to be a leak of some sort at the front of the front k-member. A closer look and it was apparent it was Mercon V fluid from the power steering.

What's the odds of it being a hose? I wiped everything down but it was nearly impossible to locate the source. It appeared to be in the area of the power steering pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	476817

The steering rack was replaced last year and I have a spare pump. But I also have been considering deleting the power steering and installing a manual rack.
    JP

So... A good time to try that electric steering thing?
    Eric
    -00 Honda Accord (The MPG'er)
    -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
    -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
    -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
    -Rebuilding the T

Comment

Originally posted by Lvnmarks View Post
      You need to be careful for when the EPS goes, some teen just drove his parents Flex into a lake yesterday http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...lake/98443536/

Lack of driving experience and understanding that you have to muscle the wheel when the power assist goes out did not help him. People will say that the EPS is bad not recalling that power steering pumps fail as do the belts that drive them.

Comment

Ohh.. I had forgotten that thread! I'm going to have to look into that.

Originally posted by steve View Post

Lack of driving experience and understanding that you have to muscle the wheel when the power assist goes out did not help him. People will say that the EPS is bad not recalling that power steering pumps fail as do the belts that drive them.
        I've had the serpentine belt let loose on the highway before. I was more worried about how far I could go on the battery than I was about the steering. Luckily I had the electric water pump and the destination hotel was just a few miles away.

As for now, all I need is to make the turn at the end of the track.
        JP

Comment

most likely a hose or fitting. Good luck getting a wrench on those!
          Does your car still have the variable assist steering sensor in place? My 94's leaked and I had to replace it which I did when I did the oil filter housing gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackIceLSC View Post
            most likely a hose or fitting. Good luck getting a wrench on those!
            Does your car still have the variable assist steering sensor in place? My 94's leaked and I had to replace it which I did when I did the oil filter housing gasket.
            OMG... what a PITA. I finally got some time to look at this yesterday.

It took about an hour with some rags and brake cleaner to wipe everything down before I could even try to find the leak. The pressure line from the pump seemed "loose" and I managed to get a crow's foot wrench on the nut and was able to loosen it and retighten but not actually remove it. Apparently the line "floats" in the fitting? It doesn't appear to tighten up to where the line is rigid.

I had a bottle of Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak so I topped off the near empty reservoir. I started the car and raised it on the lift hoping the leak would manifest itself. Apparently, the magic worked because I could not find any leak. I lowered the car and turned the wheel back and forth several times and still could not find any leak. I'm not really 100% confident it is fixed though.

Today I will find out if it still leaks or not. Of course no local parts stores stock the pressure line. I do have the spare NIB steering pump but I don't have the tools to remove or replace the pulley. I think for a track car it would make more sense to buy the manual rack than the new line and tools to swap the pump?
            JP

Comment

I found the leak.

I've begun the teardown. I'm going to have to pull the steering rack to R&R the fitting to fix the leak so I'm thinking I may just go with a manual rack.

This will give me the excuse to buy one of those DIY front end alignment tools to check the toe when I'm done.
              JP

Comment

Electric is the way to go for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by driller View Post
                  This will give me the excuse to buy one of those DIY front end alignment tools to check the toe when I'm done.
                  This is the tool I use, with toe option. Simple analog spirit level for camber and caster, you use tape measures for toe setting:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Specialty-Prod...U03RoCG1nw_wcB

This one is newer, digital, and the tape measures lock in real nice.

https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/shop/

A laser system would be nice though, no tape measures.

Bill
                  1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
                  1997 White LSC 135k miles
                  1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
                  1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
                  1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

I've got an eye on that system from QuickTrick.

Day by day, a little at a time... I'm slowly making progress.
                    JP

Comment

Just realized this thread needs pics.

First, to find the leak...

The pressure line at the pump was barely wet but it sure appeared there was a leak from the rack running down the k-member.

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	472624

Upon closer inspection, you could see the drip from the line fittings at the rack right above the drivers side mounting bolt.

Name:	IMG_1460.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	472625

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	472626

It appeared to be the return line from the rack was at least one of the leaks.

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	472627
                      JP

Comment

Time to remove the lines. I borrowed a wrench from work that had been modified to get the pressure line disconnected from the pump. But that wasn't going to help much with the fittings at the rack which were buried deep behind the k-member.

Here is the camera stuck up above the front sway bar to get a pic of the lines going to the rack. The return line and hose on the left and the pressure hard-line on the right.

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	472628

You can barely see the nut at the rack for the pressure line.

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	472629

Here is the hose connection to the return fitting.

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	472630

After much perseverance and patience... victory!

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	472631
                        JP

Comment

With the lines removed it was fairly easy to remove the rack.

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	472632

Somewhere along the way I preemptively ordered a manual rack on faith that it would somehow work...

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	472633

(Should it not for some reason, I will replace the entire system with a reman rack, new pump and new lines.)

The manual rack mounting holes measured the same and the inner tie rods were the same thread. The overall length measured to be the same spread as the Mark VIII. However, the input shaft to the rack was immediately noted to be different.

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	472634

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	472635

The new rack had an obviously smaller shaft. I knew from prior experience the shaft on the Mark VIII rack was a 3/4"-36 spline. After measuring and some online research, it was determined the new rack was a 5/8"-26 spline. That necessitated getting a Flaming River steering joint from Summit. For reference, it was part number FR1709DD - Steering Universal Joint, Steel, Nickel Plated, 9/16 in. 26-Spline, 3/4 in. DD. It should be a direct replacement for the Flaming River steering universal joint with a 3/4"-36 spline already on the car.

While we wait on parts, we move on to remove the reservoir and pump and figure out what to do with the serpentine belt now with the power steering being deleted.
                          JP

Comment

Very interesting progress, Driller.

How did you find this manual rack? was it listed for a specific vehicle?
                            Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                            2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Very interesting progress, Driller.
                              I think that's a sanitized translation for "WTF?"

Our MN12 brethren over on the SCCOA site clued me in on the manual rack. As it turns out the '93-'96 steering racks interchange with the '89-'97 T-birds/Supercoupes, with power steering of course. So far, the only difference I have found is the shaft diameter and spline.

Several MN12s had been successfully converted to manual steering in the past with a Flaming River manual rack (Mustang?) with some modifications. The newest source for the manual steering rack conversion is available from Kauffman Products. You have to call and talk to Jake.

Update... it appears a Gates 060480 serpentine belt (6 rib / 48" length) is the short belt of choice IF you delete both the power steering and AC. I got this information from researching the FFR forums. Just so happens our local NAPA had one in stock and while it does fit, one of the mounting bosses on the Thump tensioner will need a bit of 'massaging' for clearance. Worst case is going back to a stock tensioner?
                              JP

Comment

Working...
                              X