rear sway bar end links and bushings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear sway bar end links and bushings

What are our options for replacement rear sway bar end links and bushings if we are using an Adco bar? The original adco links bent.
    98 LSC Torreador Red
    "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

my addco has bent every end link i've put in it so far.
    so i'll follow this.
    1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Opal Opalescent on grey, 276/287
    1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Indigo Lights on black
    2002 Ford Focus SVT Sonic Blue on black

Comment

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.powergridinc.com/swaybar.asp
      JP

Comment

I had to shim the body/chassis mount brackets to stop from bending end links on my addco 1-1/4" bar.

IF the car is lowered, you have to cut the end link sleeves accordingly.

also, make sure you tighten them with the car on the ground to prevent the bar being in a bind:

Comment

I sent an email to PowerGrid and they no longer have anything to offer that would fit the Mark VIII.

I'm looking into either some other adjustable links or fabricating my own with some heim joints.
          JP

Comment

we still have a DLF sway bar bushing kit to work with sharon's sway bar. It replicates what BlackIce describes. I am sure JP had a DLF kit on one of his cars. Doug sold a kit that included a Energy suspension bar busing, stainless steel shims, and stainless bolts. Juts need new links.
            98 LSC Torreador Red

Comment

Originally posted by beerdog View Post
              Just need new links.
              Are the top/bottom link grommets still good? You could just get a new long bolt and re-use the sleeve and grommets.

I'm not sure what grade the fasteners in the Addco links were but I would suggest a Grade 8 bolt for a high yield strength.

Energy Suspension has a complete line of universal end links but I noted their bolts were Grade 5.
              Last edited by driller; 07-23-2017, 11:26 PM.
              JP

Comment

It has been a while since I changed these. Is the link just a long bolt?
                98 LSC Torreador Red

Comment

Originally posted by beerdog View Post
                  Is the link just a long bolt?
                  Most aftermarket ones, yes.
                  JP

Comment

So I just straightened out her end link bolts on an anvil. But the still need to be replaced since the bushings are worn a bit. After some measuring and consulting the energy suspension chart this what is what is needed for the lowered suspension

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspen...pension+9.8120

You could buy a 3/8 x 7inch long bolt but then you also nee dot track down proper cupped washers.
                    98 LSC Torreador Red

Comment

Addoc sells a sway bar with a complete install kit bushings and links included .I don't think it's 1 1/4 I believe it's a stock replacement solid bar.

Comment

This car has a 1-1/8 Addco bar. The links were probably the originals that came with the bar. the bar is still good but everything was loose and clunky. I have a replacement DLF-Special greasable bar bushing kit that was never installed. So I figure I will install that and new endlinks

So another question is if Energy Suspension only uses Grade 5 bolts, are Grade 8 really needed? I would assume they have done lots of testing and concluded Grade8 is overkill. It would not cost much more to offer grade8.
                        98 LSC Torreador Red

Comment

I'm sure the grade 5 bolts would be adequate. I'm usually a fan of overkill, but the DLF kit that I put on the Green Mark, is (presumably) still on it, and worked really well.

No doubt Eric has tested better than I ever did, too.
                          Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                          2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

The DLF kit was for the bar bushing which I am sure Grade 5 is fine. Doug sold it with SS bolts which would probably be less than grade 5.

The discussion about Grade 8 vs 5 would be for the links themselves. This may be more important for the links.
                            98 LSC Torreador Red

Comment

Still holding up strong in the green car, front and back could benefit from some extra grease though.
                              Eric
                              -00 Honda Accord (The MPG'er)
                              -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
                              -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
                              -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
                              -Rebuilding the T

Comment

Working...
                              X