No announcement yet.

A great deal on front air shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I brought the other bad shock back to autozone by me. They have ordered me another unit from orlando, that should be here today by 2pm.
    Andrew
    96 MKVIII Base

Comment

Originally posted by johnc9999 View Post
      I purchased a pair of the Westar shocks from Protier Industries for $330 on eBay back in December. They appear to be exactly like the AutoZone units pictured in this thread. After installing them on my 97, my front end still loses air. Not sure yet if it's the new shocks or some other issue - I'm trying to find time to diagnose.
      You can try isolating it to the strut and solenoid by filling them with air and then disconnecting the solenoid so it will not activate. Then let it sit for a while to see if it goes down. If it looses air while sitting then it is either leaking from the solenoid or strut. Or the solenoid is venting.
      98 LSC Torreador Red
      "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, beerdog. I filled them yesterday, snooped around the solenoids with soapy water but saw no leaks, then shut the system off with the trunk switch. I'm still losing air, so I'm wondering if the solenoid is leaking back down the air line. I'll pull off the air line next and see if that's the case.

Comment

I got a pair, and put them away for back ups. Autozone asked me to do a review. I said I got them because of the good price, they were packed badly, but seem ok, and sent 2 pics of packing. They refused to post it, ???????. I guess they only want good reviews with NO negitives, (packing bad). I used all nice words.
          94 MK VIII
          95 MK VIII
          98 MK VIII CE # 87
          04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

Maybe because they asked for a review of the product and not the packaging?

Comment

I am pretty sure you can remove the strut while it is charged with air. People have removed them and dunked them in a water to check for leaks.
              98 LSC Torreador Red
              "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

Comment

you probably could, but dont.
                the internal pressure when theyre not bolted in can twist the upper mount. increases the chance of leaking as the rubber there will crack.
                so at least reduce the pressure.
                1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Opal Opalescent on grey, 276/287
                1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Indigo Lights on black
                2002 Ford Focus SVT Sonic Blue on black

Comment

I was finally able to put mine in. That was a good tip on checking the o ring and the silicone grease. Mine were dry and one o ring didn't look quite right. Another heads up. Check to see if the lower bolt fits in the holes. Mine didn't and I had to open it up a bit with my dremel tool. Not much, but just enough to be annoying since I had to do the first one on the car. The old ones were definitely junk. I found the cracks and the shocks were pretty limp. We'll see in the morning if they stayed up.
                  Bill W

Comment

They stayed up. We went on the first drive today. I'm so glad that I kept the air ride.
                    Bill W

Comment

Working...
                    X