A great deal on front air shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great deal on front air shocks

I just picked up a set of Westar front shocks from Autozone. They wanted $215 each for them. Then they had a 20% off coupon (WINTER20 is the code for it) for ship to home orders. That made it $345 for the set with free shipping.
    Bill W

That is a great deal. You have until the 20th, so I think I'll put a pair on the shelf. Thanks for the info ranchodnieve
    94 MK VIII
    95 MK VIII
    98 MK VIII CE # 87
    04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

Thanks, let us know how they are when you install them.

It's good to know someone's making these.

Bill
      1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
      1997 White LSC 135k miles
      1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
      1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
      1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

Looks like the old Arnott struts.

http://www.westarparts.com/suspensio...-assembly.html
        98 LSC Torreador Red
        "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

Comment

I have to say, that that is a very damn good price. Rock Auto price for Westar is
          [Private Label Package] ($291.79)
          [Regular Inventory] ($324.79)

If anyone is considering replacing or reinstalling the front air shock, this would be a very good time to do so.
          Andrew
          96 MKVIII Base

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Westar Air struts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	473888Click image for larger version

Name:	Westar packing.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	473889Click image for larger version

Name:	Westar packing-2.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	473890Just got the Westar air struts. Can't say much for the packing. Their just re built Gen 1's. Came with solenoids, used ones, one is still dirty. For $367.52, delivered to my door, seems like a good deal for back-ups.
            94 MK VIII
            95 MK VIII
            98 MK VIII CE # 87
            04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by ONLYTONY View Post
              Their just re built Gen 1's. Came with solenoids, used ones, one is still dirty.
              Which is kinda funny, given this note from their website: http://www.westarparts.com/air_suspension_parts

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	473891
              Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
              2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

I just wrote Auto zone asking if they are rebuilt or new, and if the inner shock is rebuilt or new. Auto zone changed the 20% off until the 27th.
                94 MK VIII
                95 MK VIII
                98 MK VIII CE # 87
                04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

I also wrote westar asking the same questions. Looking forward to the answers, if I get any
                  94 MK VIII
                  95 MK VIII
                  98 MK VIII CE # 87
                  04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

If you remove the solenoids you can check the action of the shocks.

Bill
                    1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
                    1997 White LSC 135k miles
                    1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
                    1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
                    1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

I received mine on tuesday and wednesday. They are packaged exactly like yours. I don't think their rebuilt, as there are no part numbers stamped anywhere on the unit. I removed the passenger side solenoid, and the shock compressed and rebounded once, then stopped. A little later, I tried again and it rebounded as normal. The passenger side worked normal from start. I'd like to know who manufactured the bag, as there is no name on them.

Edit: It seems I'll have to ship the passenger side back, as it is no longer rebounding with the solenoid out.
                      Last edited by psychostang; 01-25-2018, 01:54 PM.
                      Andrew
                      96 MKVIII Base

Comment

I got mine yesterday and just unpacked them. My solenoids look new, but they did a really poor injection molding job on the white parts. I am a former injection molder mechanic. What I see is old molds where the ejector pins are loose and loaded with dirty grease. I also see that they used regrind along with the virgin that lead to a dirty look. You can see the regrind streaks in them. This is a fairly common thing to do to save money, but on white parts it makes them look bad, yet does not impair performance. It also looks like they use mold release spray and haven't cleaned the molds for a very long time.
                        When the molds get old or you stop producing the part, you sell off the molds to someone. They may have acquired the old Lincoln molds for the solenoids and continued to use them. After market manufacturers often do this since building new molds is fairly expensive, especially for a low volume product. This does not mean that the parts are inherently bad since the actual molded areas don't usually have issues, but the moving parts like the ejector pins often lose tolerance which leads to flash at the pins or dirt in the ejector pin area when they grease them heavily. The other reason that I think that the solenoids are new is examination of the black molded and other parts on them. They are unblemished and have a new finish on them. Black parts with textured surfaces are notorious for holding dirt and losing the new look and fading to dull grey as they age. You can't really fix that in a rebuild.
                        And yes the packing job was dodgey and cheap, but it was enough to prevent damage considering what they are. I will reserve judgement until I install them. But, would you be willing to pay $300+ each for the same thing from the other vendors?
                        Bill W
                        Last edited by ranchodenieve; 01-26-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ranchodenieve View Post
                          But, would you be willing to pay $300+ each for the same thing from the other vendors?
                          Bill W
                          if 2nd gen OEM was still available new, i probably would, and did. as did many others.
                          OEM was pulling like 600 700 a side for a while.
                          1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Opal Opalescent on grey, 276/287
                          1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Indigo Lights on black
                          2002 Ford Focus SVT Sonic Blue on black

Comment

That's true about OEM and I probably would have considered it if I could find them. I might consider paying extra for OEM. But the Westar seems to have wildly different prices depending upon the vendor. So, if Autozone makes a profit at $215, the other Westar sellers who get $300+ must be doing pretty well. I can't believe they are selling different products.
                            The other thing is that you can build to OEM specs, but not have the OEM quality of finish or build. I do suspect that these shocks are not going to have OEM longevity. But, it's the best we can do now unless we convert to springs.
                            Bill W

Comment

I purchased a pair of the Westar shocks from Protier Industries for $330 on eBay back in December. They appear to be exactly like the AutoZone units pictured in this thread. After installing them on my 97, my front end still loses air. Not sure yet if it's the new shocks or some other issue - I'm trying to find time to diagnose.

Comment

Working...
                              X