A pop and a grind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pop and a grind

These are fun and you all helped me also in my thread for my 98 MarkVIII about which hub bearing was bad so here we go.

When turning right at speeds of 25 to 70 I've had a pop in the front end on bumps for some time. I've been unable to find it but its getting worse and I'm about ready to do end links as a WAG since they're 80,000 miles old.

Now maybe at all speeds but I only hear it when going slow, I have some kind of low pitched grinding noise which I think is related to suspension movement not wheel rotation speed. If I'm sitting still turning the wheel it is non-existent or very quiet so I don't THINK its steering.
    230,000 mile, 98 Sprung MarkVIII on Gabriel Air Shocks

How are all ball joints and strut rod bushings? Have you done a shake down test of the front end?
    Eric
    -00 Honda Accord (The MPG'er)
    -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
    -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
    -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
    -Rebuilding the T

Comment

Originally posted by Lvnmarks View Post
      How are all ball joints and strut rod bushings? Have you done a shake down test of the front end?
      The pop in the front end was something in the sway bar end link. I changed it and for a couple days everything was quiet. Then the grinding came back and I started spray lubing things. Well it went away for quite some time only to come back the day aftet I drove in a pretty legendary rain storm.

Silicone spraying one joint at a time is not helping to find it.

Everything up there is 5 or 6 years old. They LOOK good but something obviously isn't right.

What is the shake down test?

Comment

Lower ball joint it was!

Man this one was stuck in place. Tool the air hammer with a pickle fork attachment to get it out.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it fixed.
          It took me a while but I finally figured out how to move this thread to the correct section.

Bill
          1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
          1997 White LSC 135k miles
          1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
          1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
          1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

Working...
          X