Spark plug wiring diagram

RE: Spark plug wiring diagram

The passenger side is bank one, so plugs 1 through 4 are on that side, 1 in front, then 2 and so on. Plugs 5 through 8 are on the driver's side, 5 in the front.

If you look at the coils, each connection is numbered. You should be able to follow a given wire from the coil to the plug.

Good luck

Hey Driller,

Your illustrations are exceptional. To get started, it does help to know that the #1 coil connection (marked on the coil) is on the passenger's side, as well as the #1 plug (on the front of bank 1).

For reference - note that this is only OBD-I '93-'95 Mark VIII. One manual I have shows exactly the same for a '94. I'm confident '95s are the same.

I believe the '96s came with OBD-II and the spark plug wiring is different? Of course, '97-'98 Gen2s have COP(Coil On Plug) design.

I just checked my wires on my 94 at least 4 wires are hooked up different if they are the same then I dont know I had car for 5 months now I have a little trouble going to third at 35 mph so far,the numbers are not on my coils looked all over,they have #8 going to #1 coil and #1 going to #6 coil they have # its weird should I rewire it or what

Look here...

CYLINDERS
4-......-8
3-......-7
2-......-6
1-......-5
(FRONT)

COILPACKS

(COILS)
1-2......3-4

See how the cylinders are laid out?
Cylinders 1-2-3-4 on the passenger side front to rear.
Cylinders 5-6-7-8 on the drivers' side front to rear.

See a coil pack on each side?
One coil pack for cylinders 1, 3, 6 and 5 on the passenger side.
One coil pack for cylinders 7, 8, 4 and 2 on the drivers' side.
The coils are interchangable and are labeled 7/1, 8/3, 4/6 and 2/5.
Each coil pack is actually 2 coils - each coil fires 2 cylinders. You really have FOUR coils.

Cylinders 1 & 6 fire together on coil number 1.
Cylinders 3 & 5 fire together on coil number 2.
Cylinders 7 & 4 fire together on coil number 3.
Cylinders 2 & 8 fire together on coil number 4.

See the symmetry?
Each coil fires a pair of cylinders.
The coils are firing 1-2-3-4 from the passenger side to the drivers side.

The first round is firing cylinders 1-3-7-2.
The next round is firing cylinders 6-5-4-8.
So the firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

I can double check the '94 manual, but I'm sure it's identical.

keep in mind that with the coil packs you are firing two cylinders at a time, each cylinder gets fired twice per 4-stroke cyle, once per revolution (on compression and exhaust stroke). So you can switch a couple of wires around in the right places and not end up with a problem.

Back