No announcement yet.

Removing transmission need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta get the ball and socket type, much stronger. Plus when using an impact with u joints, only a fraction of the torque gets to the bolt through all the pieces.

I'd go back to the breaker bar and a pipe.
    Eric
    -00 Honda Accord (The MPG'er)
    -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
    -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
    -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
    -Rebuilding the T

Comment

Originally posted by Lvnmarks View Post
      Gotta get the ball and socket type, much stronger. Plus when using an impact with u joints, only a fraction of the torque gets to the bolt through all the pieces.

I'd go back to the breaker bar and a pipe.
      yes, impacting with extensions is a waste of time.
      1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Opal Opalescent on grey, 276/287
      1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Indigo Lights on black
      2002 Ford Focus SVT Sonic Blue on black

Comment

Wow I think you guys were right. I had like 6 wobble extensions on there and couldn't impact it off...I switched to an impact universal joint and a 1/2 inch 2 foot extension and it impacted right out

Comment

Well I've got all of the bolts off except this wierd one a couple inches above the rusty one in picture on drivers side. It doesn't match any of the other bolts on the bell housing and I don't have a socket that fits it tightly. It's between a 16 and 17 mm and has a washer or 2 on it, may not be original.

Comment

It's probably mushroomed over and boogered up. Try pounding a 15mm on there.
            Eric
            -00 Honda Accord (The MPG'er)
            -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
            -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
            -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
            -Rebuilding the T

Comment

All the others were half inch...I def won't be able to pound a 15mm on there, maybe a 16

Comment

This damn thing has such a shallow head I can't keep anything on it....the only thing I can think to do is remove the exhaust manifold so I can crank on it at perfect angle

Comment

Look for 'bolt extractor' sockets.

I've used them at our shop years ago, they seem to work more often than not.
                  JP

Comment

Do you have a set of swivels?
                    https://media.maxtool.com/media/cata.../SK4M7U__1.jpg

Comment

Oh what i did for that one is get a bunch of extensions on it going straight back and impact it out, in my case there was more room further back
                      http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9faasxk.jpg
                      1998 Mark Viii LSC, Black but runny,138k Miles... Still
                      The problems I have with this car aren't normal compared to the ones everyone else has

Comment

Originally posted by driller View Post
                        Look for 'bolt extractor' sockets.

I've used them at our shop years ago, they seem to work more often than not.

Your my hero driller!!!....I bought a set of Craftsman extractor sockets and got it out in 30 seconds. That thing had a hell of a grip on it. Looks like they had 4 washers on it because it was too long

Comment

I can't seem to get the transmission separated from engine. I checked and double checked that all the bolts were out. Is there a trick to this? I tried wiggling it with the jack up high and down lower bit the whole engine moves with it

Comment

It needs to come straight back a littleand you need to pry with a long screwdriver or crowbar at where they meet. Just double checking but you remembered the cooling lines and linkage rightM
                            http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9faasxk.jpg
                            1998 Mark Viii LSC, Black but runny,138k Miles... Still
                            The problems I have with this car aren't normal compared to the ones everyone else has

Comment

Can anybody tell me the location of the dowels between engine and transmission?

I wanna try and heat the area with torch or something...I still can't get it loose and a tranny shop I was installing cameras at today told me that it's probably seized up on those since they're likely steel and the tranny is aluminum

Comment

Just above 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-IMG00315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	472987
                                JP

Comment

Working...
                                X