Air intake silencer removal

ranchodenieve

Registered
I have seen several discussions about the merits of removing the air intake silencer and the resonators. The snorkel on the intake silencer is certainly a serious air flow restriction and its removal is probably appropriate. The side cavity might make up for momentary air flow demands, but the snorkel is still the determining factor in air flow. I think that its removal would definitely be good for performance because doing it increases raw air flow under all conditions. It also makes life easier when pulling various other components in this area.
But, now we come to the resonators after the air filter. Many folks seem to think that they also should be removed. I have a different opinion on that based on my experience building bikes. Messing with the stock air box, other than improving flow to it often results in performance losses across the power band, but may result in higher top rev power. essentially losing tractability during normal use. Good for ultimate speed, but not daily operation in traffic. The top resonators actually have a different function in the system. They don't really increase turbulence since the air will flow directly through the tube to the engine. Rather, they provide a buffer to compensate for air pressure changes as throttle opening changes. Essentially they provide a place for air to go to as the throttle is chopped and then provide a momentary reservoir of air as the throttle opens. This keeps the fuel air mixture more stable. I think that leaving them connected should help low end performance.
Thus, I think that we shouldn't mess with the top end, but definitely remove the intake silencer before the filter. I know that this will ignite controversy. Any conflicting opinions are welcomed.
Bill W

Back