trouble with the "IMRC" on my 96 mark

rjhoff

Registered
code read passenger side stuck open. Took off the engine plastic.Man could they have put it in a worse place. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Does have vaccum. Have read where it might just be stuck??

I see where I have three replys to my question. But cannot get to the replys!! All help appreciated!!!

Unfortunately for the moment at least, those replies have been "lost." We've recently performed a forum upgrade, and most (all?) of the old data has yet to be restored.

I'll do what I can to provide a new set of answers for you. I've only encountered this once myself, on my old '97. In that case, the cable that operates the IMRC on one side, actually broke.

Sticking IMRCs are a somewhat common problem. Some have had success freeing them up with repeated seafoam treatments.

I do know that the '96 was a one-year-only, vacuum operated solution. Although I've never taken apart the controller, if you do have vacuum at the device, the next thing I would be tempted to try is to "exercise" the IMRCs manually. They'll be super hard to reach, but I suspect you should be able to get a hand on one with a few contortions.

Hopefully a few others will chime in with "hands on" experiences for you.. :)

Thanks for clearing that up with why I could not reach those who replied. Thanks for the pointers on the IMRC trouble.One things for sure. They are in a sweet place to get to!!!

I'm going to try more Sea Foam. I used the fitting on the motor. But read you have to keep going until there is no smoke. I did not do this. Is this true or not??? I ran about three cans through it!! Sorry for the late reply!! Thanks Bob

Thanks!!!! Is their anything you would suggest using instead of Sea Foam?

I'm sure there are alternatives but I have only experienced one other. I tried a commercial "induction cleaning" service once (after using seafoam). When the tech didn't get the results he expected, he sought assistance from his manager. After checking everything over they tried another application without success.

Back