Oil Filter Help

tallman

Registered
Gents - I have apparently gotten myself in a bind by the simple act of removing the oil filter from our 1994 Mark 8. I took out the oil drain plug and while the oil was draining, I removed the oil filter which happened to be a Carquest 85372 as the last oil change had been done by a shop. I had read the threads here first so I expected difficulty in getting the filter out after detaching it from the stud, however, I did manage (after a while), to get the filter completely out of the vehicle. I then wrestled a Motorcraft FL-1A filter into place and tried for the next three plus hours (being careful not to cross-thread), to start it on the stud, but no luck. Wifey went and got us a Fram PH8A with the rubber-type material its base but it also would not start on the stud. Noting that the old filter was considerably shorter than either the FL-1A or the PH8A, I went this morning and got a Motorcraft FL820S, a Wix 51372, and (as a last resort), a Carquest R85372. I am presently waiting on the rain to subside (have to work outside), then will make another attempt at installing one of the shorter filters. Though I have previously lubricated only the gasket with a film of oil when installing a new filter, I am wondering if lubricating the filter threads would be useful. Any helpful suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back