Announcement

Collapse

CALL FOR CALENDAR PICS!

It's time to submit pics for the 2019 Lincolns of Distinction Car Club Calendar!

Send me pics of your Lincoln! Any Lincoln. ALL your Lincolns!!

Email them to me at ~

j_a_peters at usa dot net

PLEASE PUT "CALENDAR PICS" IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!!

Please send HIGH RESOLUTION pics, the bigger, the better quality the calendar will be! At an absolute minimum it should be 1200 x 1600.

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...-calendar-pics
See more
See less

Finally out of the garage !! And its time for another transmission??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally out of the garage !! And its time for another transmission??

If this is in the wrong area, I'm sorry.
    So I've been on/off these forums for years, and many of you have helped me tremendously in the past. I am now pulling the Mark out of the garage and time to start turning wrenches and get her to the track !! This is the second transmission I've put in this car, and it seems like its going to have to be changed, again. On a cold run, the transmission is nice and strong, as the vehicle warms up, it doesnt seem to have the power anymore. The engine rev's but it doesn't make power to the floor. Slipping? It still shifts fine, aside from early-shifting if not throttled a certain way. Now it does have a high stall, but even once it locks in, it doesnt seem to make any power after it has came to temp. Since the first transmission changeout ive installed an aftermarket transmission cooler with a fan, so I don't suspect it has over heated.

So , I would like some of you to tell me your opinion based on the symptoms I provided, if the transmission is salvagable, or not. And I'm suspecting the latter.
    I do believe the one that is in it now is from a 96, but not sure, I don't think I had to re-pin it.
    How can I tell the year of the transmission in my car / and the one I want to buy to replace this one.

I will be running a 100 - 150 shot of nitrous for track day, with my mods listed below (I think I remember it all lol)

1997 Lincoln Mark Viii, 248K Miles
    MODS: MSD blaster ignition coils, Cobra intake manifold (with IMRC's), Walbro 300 LPH Fuel Pump, 3500 RPM Stall, 4.30 Differential (with lockers), deleted mufflers, spring conversion, racing water pump, 200 amp alternator, bypassed fan controller, transmission cooler w/ fan.

Thank you all in advance
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Base Model (Silver Frost)
    Current Mods: 96 Cobra Intake - Muffler deletion - 2000 E. 350 Transmission Cooler W/ Fan - 97 Town Car Hood Emblem - Black grille -Two 1000 Watt Competition 12's w/ 2 Farad Capacitor - MSD Blaster coil packs / Iridium - platinum motorcraft plugs - 160F Thermostat / B&M Water Pump / Relayed continuous main fan - Coil spring conversion - 300 LPH Fuel Pump - Rebuilt 94 Mustang GT Transmission W/ 4200 RPM Stall
    Upcoming final mods: 4.10 Final Drive w/ Trac-Loc - 100-150 Wet shot Nitrous - PCM Tune

In my experience, the tranny is toast by the time it exhibits any symptom of 'slipping'.

If you're planning on racing, particularly with nitrous, I would recommend a purpose built transmission and not just a swap from any used platform.
    JP

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMark97 View Post
      How can I tell the year of the transmission in my car / and the one I want to buy to replace this one.
      The only way I know for sure is if they have a tag like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4041.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	518078

Here, the "F8" signifies a 98 part number which coincides with this particular unit coming from a '98 Mark VIII.

Without such a tag, the case should have a similar casting number which would indicate the model year in the same manner.
      JP

Comment

And what part of that tag shows you the year?
        1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Base Model (Silver Frost)
        Current Mods: 96 Cobra Intake - Muffler deletion - 2000 E. 350 Transmission Cooler W/ Fan - 97 Town Car Hood Emblem - Black grille -Two 1000 Watt Competition 12's w/ 2 Farad Capacitor - MSD Blaster coil packs / Iridium - platinum motorcraft plugs - 160F Thermostat / B&M Water Pump / Relayed continuous main fan - Coil spring conversion - 300 LPH Fuel Pump - Rebuilt 94 Mustang GT Transmission W/ 4200 RPM Stall
        Upcoming final mods: 4.10 Final Drive w/ Trac-Loc - 100-150 Wet shot Nitrous - PCM Tune

Comment

F8 = 1998
          JP

Comment

You seem to know what youre doing so i have to recommend trying to rebuild it yourself, a basic rebuild and inspect along with a few part updates should be able to hold what youre putting down. Main thing is get a big ass cooler for the fluids, these cars have trouble cooling anyways.
            http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9faasxk.jpg
            1998 Mark Viii LSC, Black but runny,138k Miles... Still
            The problems I have with this car aren't normal compared to the ones everyone else has

Comment

Working...
            X