Check Engine Light On

Trixie

Staff member
Got some repairs to the car, on the way home check engine light came on. Car seems absolutely fine. Have no idea how to pull codes, do have SCT tuner, forgot how it works. Afraid to even try to do a search. Any help appreciated. Repair work done includes new radiator, new brake lines, fluid changes, right front lower control arm, exhaust repair.

Plug the SCT tuner into the OBD2 port, turn the key on (do not start the engine) then step through the menu(s) to check the codes. You can also 'clear the code(s)' while you're there.

What model SCT tuner do you have? I think I have 2 or 3 different models (if I can find them).

Bill Cuddy walked me through it, codes are P1151 and P1519. Had radiator replaced, brake lines replaced, control arm replaced and exhaust leak fixed, fluids changed. I never changed my MAF that I'm aware of. Car used to always run rich.

You should be able to reach behind the drivers side imrc and put your hand on the trunnion. It should have a cable hooked to it. If it's open, the top of the trunnion should be toward the passenger side of the vehicle.

I appreciate the response, and I can try to take a look, but I don't know what I'm looking for actually without a picture or something.

OK, I did my best, but I just can't find that in the mess of hoses and wires. Maybe I'm too short, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I really tried :(

Not that I know of. Mark moved, I got divorced from Beerdog, and I really don't know anyone else close. Was hoping perhaps this thread would be seen by someone near here, but you've been the only person to respond. I could take it in to a shop I suppose, but IDK.

Oh, I thought I responded, IDK what happened. Nope no one close that I'm aware of. However, of possible interest, while the codes kept coming back, today I cleared them and drove without the AC on, and no check engine light came on. Is this somehow related? I'm just frustrated and confused as to what to do next, as I don't want to dump more money into the car if she's not gonna live past her next emissions test or even next year. A piece of her rusted off in the garage.

If those are the only 2 codes you get, A/C has nothing to do with it. You have 2 problems. According to my 1996 emissions manual, p1519 indicates imrc stuck closed. Since your imrc's are cable operated, that probably means that both of them are stuck closed. If you accelerate past 3000 rpms, do you feel the engine come alive, indicated that the imrc's have opened?

P1151 indicates a vacuum leak somewhere around the bank 2 imrc plate. This is causing the front o2 to correct for a overly lean condition. Could be the rod seals for the imrc.

OK, I've accelerated past 3K many many times, and yes, she is feeling sluggish to me. I just thought it was weird. OK, well, I may have to take it somewhere, I'll have to see. Thanks so much for the help and info.

So, went out today and the back end was slammed. Turned air ride off then on, it was lifting anyway once I turned on the car, then right side was way up high. No codes came on and by the end car seems fine, driving nice (over 3K rpm, but didn't get a good shift into 2nd with traffic to see if she's still got it). I give up! I really wonder, although I got a new battery over the winter, if something electrical is going wacky, maybe from the work they did a wire or two ???? I'm just frustrated at my inability to figure this out or fix it myself :( Kevin (that's it right?) I do appreciate you responding and helping. Maybe we can figure out a place to meet up with Manny if you're still close to Chi?

Back