getting ready for hid's in my 93, few questions...

jamies98lsc

Registered
ok i have the pair of housings i bought last week ready to go, today we got another 97 from the auction with nice fast lighting hids in it, so im snagging the bulbs and ballasts out of it for my 93. a few questions, i want to jumper the multifucntion switch so the high and low beams will light up together when i switch to high beam, isnt it pins 13 and 15 of the switch, i did this for a friend in his 93 but i want to be positive i have the right pins before i burn something up!
the second question is, im going to unplug the stock 9005 low beams and cut the plugs off the end of the harness, i am going to use them to feed the ballasts their power, but i heard something about putting a load on the multifunction switch if i dont relay them, i need to put a relay between the cars stock low beam harness and the new ballast's, does anyone have a diagram to do this, i dont want to use a toggle for the hid's, i want to keep them on the factory headlight switch, but i also dont want anything to melt or burn. can anyone help me figure this out? thanks for any input you can share.

I can't help you much, but I can tell you that the low beams have resistance wire. I did a similar set up, might be a stupid setup, but I bought a set of off-road driving lights, cut the connector off of the high beam wire, and ran the lights off of that wire. Then I hooked my low beams in the stock high beam location. The lens was better in that area. I used cool blue bulbs as my low beams (albeit in the high beam loaction, and my driving lights are in the grill. It's not as good as the HID output, but for around 60 bucks, and a little trial and error, I think it worked pretty good. I too am interested in all of my lights (Low beams, driving lights, and turning lights) when I hit my high beams. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I put HID's in my green 94 and I didn't use a relay. I think that the HID's use less current than the Halogen lights do. I'm not sure about the initial start up (which is short) though.

Also, some people like to disconnect the wire that causes the check exterior lights message that appears when you switch over to HID lights. I just hit the reset when it appears. I don't mind it, and also, when you turn on your parking lights, the circuit works and still checks the rest of your exterior lights for you.

I used the Brite Box relay setup when I put HIDs in my '93. That keeps the low beams on with the high beams.

I wired the low beams right to the HID ballasts without using a relay.

awesome thats al i wanted to hear, both you guys wired dirrectly to the stock low beam wires for your ballasts, thats what i'll do. the only other thing is the low,high beam, we put hid's in my buddies 93 and i used one of those blue wire connectors that lets you tie one wire into another without stripping any jacket back, but im not possitive which two wires we connected together, i pulled the plug out of his multifunction switch, and connected what i believe is pin 13 and 15 together, so when his hid's are on, he can turn on the highs and all 4 light up. i put the bulbs in the housings tonight, and hooked the ballasts to my battery jump box and fired them up, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its gonna be like heaven with them in the car, i could do them tonight if i wanted, but man i need some sleep, i think im killing myself, sometimes you just have to slow down and rest! its not in my blood though, but my body is telling me to slow down, so i better listen. thanks fella's i'll be in the hid club very soon, then my wife might be good to me ha ha ha!

you are the man bill, thats exactly what i was looking for, and see that, over a year and i was right, 13 and 15 get put together, my memory isnt totally shot yet lol. i think this will be tomorrow morning's job, then i'll fine tune the aim tomorrow night. thanks again!

What's the difference between the 93's and the 96's headlight housings? I thought I saw a kit advertised somewhere that had an adapter or something to fit the 93's housing. I could be wrong.

there is a huge difference, the hid lense is completely clear

this is a 96 hid housing:
hidhousings018.jpg

and this is a 93 halogen housing:
halogensforsale002.jpg

The HID and Halogen housings also have different mountings for the bulbs. When I put the HID housings into my 95 I had to rig it with some silicone caulking(was the only thing I could find at the time) to keep the low beam bulbs in place.

Jamie, do the HID bulbs on your housings have black stuff on the screws preventing you from removing them? The housings I bought had a broken bulb so I ended up having to hack off the screws to remove the HID bulbs and convert back to halogen bulbs.

nope, my bulbs are from a 98, i bought the housings with no bulbs, and used the screws i saved from removing my bulbs from a 98, and screwed the bulbs back on to the housings. they can be removed in seconds if need be.

well when you say kit , mine is not a kit, mine is all factory hid set up from a 98 and 96, the housings are from a 96 lsc and my bulbs and ballasts are factory from a 98, thats why the bulbs screw in, because its the same bulb from 96-98, it was made to screw to the housing with 3 screws. after market hid's dont install to the stock housings like these do.

I understand all that. I just messed up the back of the housings a bit during that whole process. If I can grab a good set of housings with no bulbs I can put in a kit and make up some kind of plate to hold the bulbs in place instead of the half-assed way I did it to these. I'll have to look into it a bit further to see exactly what i'd have to do to make it possible.

Back