Alternator went bad again

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
So the alternator I installed in June this year that was replacing the original one that lasted 121k miles and 10 years went on me again only after about 5k miles and 5 months. Coming home from the movies yesterday the change fault light came on again. I got a new NAPA one and it comes with a life time warranty. So I took it to NAPA and I asked the guy to test it and it cam up bad. So they gave me a new one. I hope this one last.

Well, at least you weren't stranded. Hopefulley the replacement will last longer. :)

So far I have never had any issues with new Autolite alternators. I had one in a T bird for over a year. And I also put one in my crown vic ... 6 months and 20k miles so far so good.

So far I have never had any issues with new Autolite alternators. I had one in a T bird for over a year. And I also put one in my crown vic ... 6 months and 20k miles so far so good.

I called five star ford and tried to get a new motorcraft one, but they only had re-man and the amps were rated les then my OEM. Also I had to ship back the core. I have life time warranty on this one, so far the only thing it cost me was about an hour to swap it out and get a new one. I just hope I don’t have to swap it out every 6 months. I should have looked into getting my OEM rebuilt, but i did not have the time.

I have no clue as to why most have such huge issues with the aftermarket alternators... just such a PITA.

I think I got a new one in my 96 when it bit the dust... it was in it for 2 yrs and 50k miles powering my fairly sizable stereo. JP has the car now so if the ALT is still good it was probably 4 yrs now.

I called five star ford and tried to get a new motorcraft one, but they only had re-man and the amps were rated les then my OEM. Also I had to ship back the core. I have life time warranty on this one, so far the only thing it cost me was about an hour to swap it out and get a new one. I just hope I don’t have to swap it out every 6 months. I should have looked into getting my OEM rebuilt, but i did not have the time.

I had mine rebuilt no luck still had the lil batt light.
Called Max at five star got a reman corbra 130 amp for $232 got it in 3 days shipped mine back got 60 bucks back "more like 50 if you minus shiping" works great I have nothing but good to say about 5 star.
If I had to have the beast towed twice it would pay for the alt.

I went PA performance after about 5 rebuilt ones..........not a problem since!

I would also recommend PA Performance for starters and alternators. Good products, I have one of their starters and 3G alternators in my 5.0. No problems.

where can you get one at? the bearings in my alternator are making noise and i dont feel like rebuilding it, if there is even a rebuild kit for this alternator. whast the pa performance site?

You will need to extend it because it's in a slightly different location on the PA performance unit. The case is from the AC delco design used in the gen 2's. It's only $10 so just do it if you are already spending the cash on the alt.

Whenever you get a new alternator change the mane cable and terminals that goes from the alternator to the battery/distribution box. Whenever the cables get old and corroded it razes the resistance and can cause the alternator to get hot and burn up. I did custom car audio for many years and bad cables was the mane cause of most battery and altimeter problems. Its also very easy to do it your self upgrade the battery cables by going to a Pro Car Audio shop and getting (Monster Cable and Terminals) you will even see a difference in the way your starter runs if you replace the starter cable with Monster Cable

Back