??? miles to empty?

BlackMark8

Registered
My gas gauge is incorrect. And the one on the dash seams to affiliate itself with the analog gauge. For instance, it will say (30 miles to empty) and it will count down to 24 or even down to 0 sometimes then all of a sudden, it changes and says 50 miles to empty. Another thing it does is, for instance, it will say (30 miles to empty) then ill put a good 3 or 4 gallons in the tank. Get back in and it will still say the same number (30 miles) and counts down until it adjusts again or just go to 0 and then it goes up later while driving. Wandering if anyone else may be experiencing the same thing, thanks.

I have noticed strange things with the miles to empty and the fuel gauge. I know if you are parked on a slope it effect both. While driving I think the computer checks every so often and calulates miles to empty by what it reads in the tank. I also think it has something to do with the last miles (#?) and mpg you have in those miles.

On a trip to Oregon at the top of the Syskiou Mt it read 75 miles to empty. Several miles down the hill, getting 50mpg+, going into Ashland it read 93 miles to empty. Thats the reason I think the computer calculates it on recent previous miles.

Are you shutting the engine off and closing the the car door ? Mine would do what you sort of described when I didn't do the said.

...and it wouldn't hurt to fill the tank once in a while so the computer knows where to calculate your mileage from....You know those dumb computers....garbage in, garbage out!

if you don't turn off the ignition while refilling the computer won't reset. For safety reasons you should always do this!

If your system seems "confused" try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and see if it resets.

My 1995 does strange things too. I first noticed it when the message center said I had 28 miles until empty. The fuel gauge read 1/8 left in the tank. Then she ran completely out of gas. Every time the gauge reads 1/8 it runs out of gas. Also it will show on the message center something around 50 miles till empty and I will put up to 5 gallons in it and when I start it up afterwards it still shows only 50 miles until empty. It continues to show this for about 30 minutes then by itself it will finally realize there is no gas in the tank and recalculate.

All my Mark VIIIs were acting kind of funny with little gas... the Crown Vic does the same thing... I'd just make sure I fill up the car every time.

I'm chalking this one up to "it's a ford thing".

Yea I always turn off and close the door to do this. Have tried "resetting" it with the battery. Does not change until im driving, then it will add 20- 30 miles up to 3 times. And its weird. I did fill it all the way up, and the gauge was pegged but it said like 315 miles to empty. I thought ive seen peoples read 400+ with a full tank.

mmmk ...

Well the system works by averaging your gas mileage over the past 500 miles and then simply multiplying the # of gallons in your tank by your MPG.

So if the car only has 40-150 miles to work off... after a current reset your Distance to empty will vary because the average MPG is changing.

...and if you've been heavy with the right foot and getting crappy milage because of it, the next time you fill up, it will average that crappy milage and show a lowered "Miles To Empty". Averaging 12 or 15 MPG X amount in tank = lower Miles To Empty. OKay?

Try going on a long trip where you try to get the best MPG you can...feather that gas pedel .... no jack-rabbit starts etc. Then the next time you fill up .... WOW .... 489 miles to empty!! Or whatever!

if its accting that odd id replace the fule level sencer in the tanke and go ahead and replace the fule pump with an upgrade while the tanke is out. that only takes about 45 mn if you can get the car off the ground and the tank is empty or low. have a budy help

Back