Wacky Compass!

93LINCMK8

Registered
Why is it that the compass keeps bugging out on me? At any given time I'll get in and the compass will say "circle slowly to cal". It does this all the time. Is it about to go out completely or what? It mostly does it after sitting outside in the cold or the snow. Would it be hard to fix?

I just started having this problem too.

All you need to do is go to a parking lot, and drive your car slowly in a circle (have the calibrate message displayed), and it should calibrate itself.

Mine didn't work yet, but I have a lot of equipment in my trunk right now. I'll see how it works when I get home and empty my trunk.

Also, if you have a subwoofer in your trunk, it can screw with the compass module, if your module is in the trunk like mine are.

Edit: You have a 93 so yours is in the trunk too.

I know how to recalibrate it, it just does it all the time. So having an aftermarket amp. could screw with it too? I don't have a sub, just an amp.

Would I have to take it out or just cut the power to it? I hardly listen to it anyways due to the engine noise I can't seem to get rid of.

I'd try disconnecting the power to the amp first (or just turning it off). Then see if you can recalibrate the compass (by circling slowly).

As far as the amplifier noise goes, if you have "alternator whine" (a whining noise that increases in frequency or pitch, as engine rpm increases) I'd try installing a choke coil in series with the amplifier power wire.

Last edited:
I have two distinct noises. One is the noise that changes with exceleration and the other is steady and comes on when the electric fan kicks on. Thanks for the links and advice. I'll try these and see what happens.

Back