Help with led and ballast issue

94badbird

Registered
My neon bar in my 98 didn't work when I bought it..about 3 months ago my wife was using my car and I watched her drive away ( at dusk) and I think she had the auto lights on and to my amazement my led was lit.i have never been able to get it to light up again for me.
I did lots of research and thought maybe it was my ballast because I would unplug it and plug it back it and the neon would flash for a quick second.
So I ended up trading for what was told was a working ballast, installed it and my brakes lights went out and I couldn't get my car out of park. So I disconnected the ballast and replaced the fuses.
Now, he sent me a verified working ballast and it should be here tomorrow. I been reading about removing the wire mesh completely off it as it causes issues I just had if it touches metal,which I know it is as it was attached to my ground on the ballast that the tiny screw goes onto..is that correct or should I cut off all that mesh or should I wrap it all in electric tape and tuck it away..
I just don't want to wreck a good ballast, if it's even the problem..
I do have some pretty bad interference through my speakers too, I know that mesh has something to do with that, how can I clear out that damn hissing noise? I have a lot invested in my sound system to have any unwanted noise.

Last edited:
Back