Exhaust options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust options

I need a little advice I was wondering what the best option is to open my exhaust .Headers are not in the equation due to cost and one other thing sound is second to performance.
    Last edited by mag; 03-10-2018, 11:43 AM.

Originally posted by mag View Post
    Headers are not in the equation due to cost and one other thing sound is second to performance.
    Cobra manifolds, single-X, dual 2-1/2" with MagnaFlow mufflers and tips of your choice.

Do you need to pass emissions?
    JP

Comment

Yes I do but they don't sniff in Illinois they just scan for DTC'S.

Comment

I have this set-up on my car. The challenge is you will need to eliminate the EGR and secondary air system. You will need the tune adjusted to turn off those systems to avoid engine lights. I also have no cats but i forgot if I had to reinstall the second O2 sensor. I still pass emmisions but had to have my tune adjusted. I will also check , but I think Illinois allows our year to have 1 system off and 2 not ready. The other challenge I had was getting all the system checks to run.

If i did it again I would install high flow cats and rear 02 sensors just to make life easier.

If you go with the Kooks you can keep all the emmisions systems in-tact.
        98 LSC Torreador Red
        "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

Comment

Originally posted by driller View Post

Cobra manifolds, single-X, dual 2-1/2" with MagnaFlow mufflers and tips of your choice.

Do you need to pass emissions?
          So the cobra manifolds clear the mark viii steering shaft? (asking for a 96 Mark)

Comment

Originally posted by txbear View Post

So the cobra manifolds clear the mark viii steering shaft? (asking for a 96 Mark)
            You may need to modify the steering shaft, but generally, yes. I had to modify the steering shaft on my '96 but I know of others who did not.
            JP

Comment

The steering shaft mod involves adding the Flaming river u-joint and a short extension. You will spend about 150. Get the kooks and you do not need to do this.....I think.
              98 LSC Torreador Red
              "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

Comment

heh. I thought you /did/ need the flaming river joint for the Kooks, but potentially not the Cobra manifolds. It's been too long..
                Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

KOOKS=Stock steering shaft works
                  COBRA=Flaming River joint + DD stub shaft + OEM shaft modification.

IMHO, if you buy the Cobra manifolds, FR joint, stub shaft, and a Mustang O/R H pipe, you're into it for the cost of a set of used kooks. Both of my cars have the KOOKS, the 95 has the F/R joint as well....only difference to me is more NVH in the steering wheel.

I would like to see dyno numbers between the two of them but I have a hard time believing the Cobra manifolds have the same gains as the KOOKS mid length headers. Plus the sound just kicks a$$.
                  Eric
                  -00 Honda Accord (The MPG'er)
                  -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
                  -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
                  -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
                  -Rebuilding the T

Comment

Working...
                  X