Advice Please

biglou71

Registered
Hi all. Noob here. Couple of questions for you all.

Ok, I am looking at a 98 LSC. It has very high miles, like 172k. The oil pan has leakage, and there appears to be a small anti freeze leak from the passengers side of the radiator area. Oh, and the Coolant temp gauge only works for about 30 seconds then quits. But while it is working it says the temp is ok...

Other than that, the car is sweet. Looks new, drives good, accerates without any roughness.

I can get it for 3500 out the door, clean title, no salvage or anything.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Lou

RE: Advice Please

That might be a good deal. But if I was you, I'd see if I could haggle him down 800 to 1200 bucks. The new radiator is gonna cost you about 200 bucks (you do it yourself). If the oil is coming from the driver side of the motor, that may be a leaky oil filter adapter. If it really is coming from the oil pan that could be pricy fixing if you can't do it yourself.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Any ideas on the Temp gauge? The MFD says Engine Temp Data Err or Coolant Temp Data Err. I forget which.

Sensor? Or something to be really concerned about?

The sensor could be replaced (by you) for about 20 bucks. I don't think an air bubble in the motor or a failing water pump would cause that on/off reading.

Thanks. Actually, I found that it was just half connected and wasnt making full contact. So, as soon as the engine would rock, it would disconnect. I reconnected it, and it works perfect.

Thanks for the help all.

Now my next item is tracking down a lug key for these damned locking lugs. Mine didnt have one when I bought it, nor is the little envelope with the info in it, in the car.....

OH, and I walked out with it for 3250. I think I did well. You would think It had very few miles on it to look or listen to it. You would never know it had 1720000 miles

Hey,

Well, I got mine with 62,000 orig miles, and for all intents & purposes, it's a cream puff. It only needed one ballast at the time, but mechanically it's super solid. I got it in Dallas for 4900. I hope this gives you some perspective.
RMartin

'98 Base Mark VIII (pearl)
Kooks Jet-Coated Headers
Dual 2.5" Exhaust with Borla Mufflers & high flow cats
Custom Intake & MAF
Custom Program
0-60...well, stays with the HEMI Magnum/300C, even w/ stock gearing(that's next)

YOu can go to a dealer to get the code number for your locking lugs.

you can call the company that makes the lock and trace it on some papper and they will send you a new one for like 20 bucks or you can hammer a socket onto them and just replace them wiht lug nuts

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I think I did well. You would think It had very few miles on it to look or listen to it. You would never know it had 1720000 miles
[/div]
WOW, only a million seven hundred twenty thousand! It's not even broken in yet. lol

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
you can call the company that makes the lock and trace it on some papper and they will send you a new one for like 20 bucks or you can hammer a socket onto them and just replace them wiht lug nuts
[/div]

Got a new one ordered from Lincoln, $18.00. Thanks.

Back