how much should I pay

RE: how much should I pay

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I have found a 97 Black LSC with 86,000 miles. The owner says it's in great condition all around, KBB quotes the car at 5,500. The back rear light is not working. What do you guys think I should pay? http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/280000-280999/280293_34.jpg[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________ 94 Mark VIIIDavid J
[/div]

Edmunds.com says the car is worth $6,042 from a private seller. So taking into account the bad neon light, a price of around $5,500 is just about right.

I did not win the bid for the car but I was contacted after to buy it. An email was sent to me but it sounds kind of strange. I contacted the seller directly through ebey to verify if this was an actual email that he sent.
What do you guys think? I will find out shortly if this is a real deal. I want this car bad but I’m not going to be taken for a fool.

Here's what was sent to me:
Bid ended 6-18-06
I was contacted for a "second chance" on 6-20

“Contact the seller at this e-mail address :eric_woof83@xxxxxx.com. You expressed
interest in an item titled '' 2002 Lincoln : Mark Series Item number: 4647978893
'' by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high
bidder. In compliance with eBey policy, the seller of that item is making this
Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of US $4,900.00. The seller has
issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to
complete the transaction. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange
Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBey services associated with
a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item, contact the
seller at: eric_woof83@xxxxxxx.com . Thank you, eBey, Inc.”

I didn’t give his full email just in case this is for real. I replied stating that I was still interested in buying the car. The email had a few links to the fraud department for ebey (I know how to spell it) which I know is a common trick of thieves.

He sent this:
“Hi,
I`m personaly located in United Kingdom ....The item is located home and I will arrange to be shipped it to you ...no problems...
Because i'm not in the country this transaction will be arranged by ebey.
You have the opportunity to purchase this item at your last bid price .
The ex winner had some problems and couldn't handle the situation (he told me something about his daughter being sick), so following eBey's suggestion, I've contacted you this way.Because I'm not in the country this transaction will be arranged by ebey and they seed that I need from you your:
- eBey ID and full name and address.......
as soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBey will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly).
I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you.
Also, a refund policy will be included. The item is inspected.. and everything is
ready to go on it.Looking forward to hear from you .
Regards..

djzeronov@aol.com wrote:
I received an offer from ebey called "second chance" for the 97 mark viii. I had a bid of cash $4900. I am still interested in that car. let me know if you are willing to sell it.
Thanks
David J

What do you guys/gals think?
Are we allowed to mention the name of the auction site? Or do I have to write ebey?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/280000-280999/280293_34.jpg
[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________
94 Mark VIII
David J

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/280000-280999/280293_34.jpg
[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________
94 Mark VIII
David J

Sounds shaky.

Ask where exactly "home" is and tell him you're willing to travel to see the car first.

A friend just bought a car through Ebay. A '98 STS. Turns out it has a blown head gasket. He got an estimate for $4300. The dealer that sold it to him wouldn't cover it, so he went back to ebay through their buyer protection program. They made him get another estimate, and they're covering it. I guess they'll cover a nondisclosed problem over $1000. He's paying something like $400 as a deductible.

Sounds like a scam or as ebay calls it, a phishing scam. Forward the email to them and they'll , 1. Let you know if they would ever do anything like that, and 2.- Investigate the fraud.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

The second chance offer is a scam that is running rampant on ebay and they can't seem to get a handle on it. The same thing happen to me after I bid on a car and lost. Smelling a rat, I sent an email to the owner personally and he confirmed there was no second chance offer.

There was a local woman who fell victim when she thought it was a mircale she got a second chance to buy Steelers Superbowl tickets. She sent her $3600 and never got any tickets or refund. The money was gone and there was nothing she could do.

You gotta be really careful buying a car off ebay. You have to ask very detailed questions and get detailed pictures. You can't assume anything. There are good honest sellers out there but there are some bums too.

As far as what its worth, besides the cosmetics, maintenance records are invaluable when it comes to these cars in determining value. Without that and buying sight unseen, you are at high risk.

Back