So many problems

Kiwi843

Registered
I have a 95 mark VIII that ive had for about 2 years. i love my car but about a year ago everything went downhill. and i have no clue what's wrong or what to do about it, hopefully someone will recognize my baby's symptoms.

first problem, an unexplained rattling coming from the front passenger side wheel area, had someone check it out and they couldnt find anything loose. the rattling happens when i hit a bump, thought it may be the shocks but was told that its not?

second problem, this one is the worst.
about a year ago when i would get to about 30 MPH it would start slipping, i was told its jumping into overdrive. it did it whenever i was between 30 and 60, once i hit 60 im fine. it does it alot but not constantly. what exactly happens is, (sorry im explaining this in terms of someone who knows nothing about trans.) it hesitates, the rpms jump to about 4, if i dont let up off the gas it jerks into gear, if i let off the gas it slows to about 30 then goes into gear. now i took it to a guy i know that does trans work for dealerships, he "fixed" it, worked fine for about a month then started doing it again. ive been told its the OD sensor, its the torque convertor, etc etc. and i dont want to take it back to him until I know whats wrong.

third problem, this started the other day.
when i am at a stop, or in park the car starts rumbling, almost like its about to stall, and i can feel it in the floorboards. once i start moving it stops, it also stops when i put it in neutral.
sometime around when it starts doing this the "check air ride system" display comes up. what the heck?

hope someone has the answers to at least one of these questions, i love this car and am worried about driving it lest i do more damage.
Kiwi

RE: So many problems

I will try to address Problem #1 for you: Since the shock is inside the airbag/strut assy, how was it "checked out"? Bouncing up and down on the fender wont tell you much. Before you do anything else, have the front ball joints checked. These have a tendency to "rattle" whenever you hit a "sharp" bump or jolt. Also the inner control arm bushings will give you the same "klunk", if they are worn to the point of needing replacment.

i wasnt there when it was checked out so im not sure, but the guy that looked at it is a grade A mechanic, someone ive known for years.
ill let him know what you said!
thanks!
Kiwi

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I have a 95 mark VIII that ive had for about 2 years. i love my car but about a year ago everything went downhill. and i have no clue what's wrong or what to do about it, hopefully someone will recognize my baby's symptoms.first problem, an unexplained rattling coming from the front passenger side wheel area, had someone check it out and they couldnt find anything loose. the rattling happens when i hit a bump, thought it may be the shocks but was told that its not?second problem, this one is the worst.about a year ago when i would get to about 30 MPH it would start slipping, i was told its jumping into overdrive. it did it whenever i was between 30 and 60, once i hit 60 im fine. it does it alot but not constantly. what exactly happens is, (sorry im explaining this in terms of someone who knows nothing about trans.) it hesitates, the rpms jump to about 4, if i dont let up off the gas it jerks into gear, if i let off the gas it slows to about 30 then goes into gear. now i took it to a guy i know that does trans work for dealerships, he "fixed" it, worked fine for about a month then started doing it again. ive been told its the OD sensor, its the torque convertor, etc etc. and i dont want to take it back to him until I know whats wrong.third problem, this started the other day.when i am at a stop, or in park the car starts rumbling, almost like its about to stall, and i can feel it in the floorboards. once i start moving it stops, it also stops when i put it in neutral.sometime around when it starts doing this the "check air ride system" display comes up. what the heck?hope someone has the answers to at least one of these questions, i love this car and am worried about driving it lest i do more damage.Kiwi
[/div]

Here's some input:

#1 - I got a clanking noise even after completely rebuilding the front end. I discovered that the sway bar was hitting the k-member - found a worn area of impact. Check to make sure the center clamps are tight, and that there are any worn areas on TOP of the k-member. If it's not that, the clanking could be caused by a number of worn out/loose items: tie rods, strut rod bushings, lower ball joint, or upper control arms. The last 3 are notorious for all being pretty much dead after 100K miles.

#2 & #3 - Replace your MLPS (manual lever position sensor - some auto parts places call it a neutral safety switch). I did this just today because mine was starting to do the exact same thing - slips out of gear while driving. This part is also notorious for being dead at 100K. It may also solve your thrid problem, as a bad MLPS can cause a whole host of strange things. The connector has 8 pins, so you know it affects a lot of things.

So in short, check your sway bar, and replace your MLPS (got mine for $22). If you have a shop do it, they should charge you about 1/2 an hour of labor.

Post again with your results.

alright im going to try to work on this tomorrow, or in the begining of the week.
i definetely will post again as soon as i can!
thanks alot!
Kiwi

Back