Steering Wheel - Help!!

mag1119

Registered
Hello out there, all. My telescoping steering wheel has just stopped telescoping up and down, but is still functioning going forward and toward the dash. Is there a repair for this, and what is the likely culprit? When engaged, there is still sound coming from the wheel, but no movement up or down. Please advise.

RE: Steering Wheel - Help!!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Hello out there, all. My telescoping steering wheel has just stopped telescoping up and down, but is still functioning going forward and toward the dash. Is there a repair for this, and what is the likely culprit? When engaged, there is still sound coming from the wheel, but no movement up or down. Please advise.
[/div]

I could be wrong, but I think that issue is covered in the tech article section.

I know nothing of that issue myself.

Jeff,
A bit of help, please. There is one of the pictures in the illustrating thread that shows a rod like object with a hexagonal head sticking up? What is that piece, I found it on my floor and had no idea what it was or where it came from.

I don't have a telescoping steering wheel(I have a '94), and haven't torn one apart, but that rod looks like a connection from a motor (the side the rod is still attached to in the photo) and a gear on the other end that the hex part would fit into. The rod appears to behave, in effect, as a minature driveshaft. Without it, the motor is spinning free, not turning anything. I don't know if something else broke to cause this, or if the rod was physically knocked out, or if the rod itself broke on one end. Check the photos (in the second thread) of the motors, should help to visualize purpose of the rod.

Hopefully, someone who has hands on experience with this, will chime in.

Edit: looking at the illustration, the motor appears to be on the open hex side? and the side still attached goes thru the potentionmeter(sp?).
The potentionmeter reads the distance moved, so a certain distance can be measured and returned to repeatedly.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!
That rod looking thing just fell out of my column. I couldn't figure out if it had come from my seat or from where. I guess that is the reason the wheel won't telescope up and down. Not sure if I'm good enough to do this repair, but I do have a local Lincoln guy who has done fantastic work for me before, time to re-re-reintroduce myself.

Take care,
Mark

for now give it a good push down and push up and then see if it moves..........i did that on me 97 i had and works

Did that before when it stuck, it was fine for two years!! That rod I was referring to has fallen out, that was the mechanism to move it up and down, I'm pretty sure. Getting an assembly from another web member, will have it installed soon. Planning to keep the old one and rebuild it as a spare.

Mark

Back