Tuner

calisonic

Registered
Got my tax return :cool: and looking to get a tuner, most likely from BOC. I am debating between the SF3 and X3, which I believe are the best options. From what I can tell the only difference is that the X3 allows to "make your own tune" and the SF3 is preloaded only. In which case I would prefer the X3 granted its not too difficult to understand the interface of changing all the parameters.

Things I want to be able to adjust are shift points/firmness, idle speed, cooling fan initiation temp, and hopefully speedo correction for 3.73's which I will hopefully be doing soon. I'm not too familiar with spark advance and timing because, well I'm young and have never owned a car with a distributer :D so those things I believe I would want to have pre-programmed.

The car is stock other than a tranny cooler and K&N filter w silencer delete.

So yeah, any sugestions?

Btw, I did email Lonnie on mon but haven’t heard anything as of yet.

Last edited:
The X-3 allows you to "LOAD" your own tune, you would still need the software(ProRacer) to actually create the tune.

The X-3 doesnt "create" a tune.

Like you said the SF-3 comes preloaded with canned tunes for many cars.

if I were you, I'd get the X-3 from Lonnie and have him load a custom tune on it.

The car is stock other than a tranny cooler and K&N filter w silencer delete.

So yeah, any sugestions?

Btw, I did email Lonnie on mon but haven’t heard anything as of yet.[/quote]

It's worth the wait to have Lonnie call you back. He's a really busy guy, but if you can wait for him, im sure youll be impressed with the tune. He has had some difficulty with emails in the past from changing buisness locations, but i always got a call back. Use the phone number on his website in case the email thing/link is inoperable.

He's a really busy guy, but if you can wait for him, im sure youll be impressed with the tune.

100% true statement

lonnie just moved out of one shop into a new location and is very busy trying to catch up.

i'd suggest calling him as well

Just to resolve this thread, I did end up getting an X-3 from BOC... and it's pretty cool.

Correct me if I am wrong here everybody, but won't calisonic need the speedo gear if he does the 3.73s? I bought a speedo gear because I was told by Bill over at SCP it is required even with a supplied chip/tuner.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong here everybody, but won't calisonic need the speedo gear if he does the 3.73s? I bought a speedo gear because I was told by Bill over at SCP it is required even with a supplied chip/tuner.

I don't know what year his car is, but Gen II's don't need to change the gear, as the speedometer gets it's readings from the ABS sensors. You do, however, have to make changes to the tune for the gear change.

I have 4.10's, the stock speedo gear, and I've tuned my car using an X3 and the SCT Pro Racer package.

Bill is mistaken.

I don't know what year his car is, but Gen II's don't need to change the gear, as the speedometer gets it's readings from the ABS sensors. You do, however, have to make changes to the tune for the gear change.

I have 4.10's, the stock speedo gear, and I've tuned my car using an X3 and the SCT Pro Racer package.

Bill is mistaken.

Yikes! Ok, well he burned me a chip from SCT. Am I going to have speedo problems or is that all taken care of in the chip? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. :embarrassed:

Yikes! Ok, well he burned me a chip from SCT. Am I going to have speedo problems or is that all taken care of in the chip? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. :embarrassed:

The tune on a Gen II cannot affect the speedometer. It should, however, modify the shift schedules based upon the new gearing.

I suppose that it's possible to change the gear, and make allowances for the change in the tune, but that's not the way I did it, nor is it the way Lonnie @ BOC does it.

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A877/A877UCID3 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Its a '98

The tune on a Gen II cannot affect the speedometer. It should, however, modify the shift schedules based upon the new gearing.

I suppose that it's possible to change the gear, and make allowances for the change in the tune, but that's not the way I did it, nor is it the way Lonnie @ BOC does it.

My chip from Bill is a single program SCT and is indeed programmed for the gears, converter, etc. So what you are saying is that I should have no speedo issues at all as long as it takes into account the mods I have?

One more time......

The tune CAN NOT affect the speedometer, because the Gen II speedometer gets its data from the ABS system.

It doesn't matter what VSS gear you put in the transmission, as the speedometer does not get its data from the VSS.

However, the VSS data does affect, thru the EEC, shift points, TC lockup schedules, etc.

If Bill told you to get a certain VSS gear, and programmed the tune using that gear, then you should use that VSS gear.

All I said earlier is that it's not necessary, and I didn't do it that way.

Clear?

Back