Help with radio static

donaldgoss

Registered
I have recently become the proud owner of a 95 mark 8, it has the integrated phone and 10 disc cd player, when i push the on button on the radio it has a very loud humming and pulsing sound some times i can push the on button repeatly and it will just clear up. but most of the time it has the static, could this be a short in the radio or could the amp be going out. what do i need to do to put a aftermarket radio in, i dont need the phone and trunk mounted cd player, will i have to bypass the amp to install the aftermarket, any help will truly be appreciated, i have just about scratched my head till i am bald with this problem, Thanks, Don

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A877/A877UCID3 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Putting an aftermarket cd player in is pretty straight foward. You can get the moutning adapter and wiring harness adapter at most electronics stores (I got mine at Best Buy for around $30 total). Or I believe you can directly mount a "double din" sized head unit. Either way you should not have to bypass the factory amp. At least I didnt. Even if youve never installed one they are easy to do. You will also need the little tools to that go in the small square holes in the factory unit to pull it out.

static

static

the static is almost everytime i turn on the radio its in the am and fm and cassett, it is like a loud humming and pulsing, sometimes after i turn it on and off a dozen times repeatedly it will stop it might not a have a bit of static and noise for a week and all the sudden its there, you cant turn it down at all its real strange, i was thinking maybe one of the resistors on the coils was bad, but it will do the same thing if the engine is not running.I would really like to keep the original radio but cant take the noise,but when it is working it is perfect.

Sounds like the amp itself. It's located behind the rear seat below the shelf. I would check out the wiring first and if not that consider another amp. I think Jamie prob has some available......

As it is intermittant, it may be just a loose wire or bad ground.

I am not sure if this is related (probably not), but I have the same problem

I am not sure if this is related (probably not), but I have the same problem

with static on AM radio stations. It only happens when I step on the brake pedal. I am thinking the rear neon light is somehow interfering with the radio signal (perhaps the same frequency). I have no idea how to get around this - other than simply not braking during an important radio broadcast :D.

In the Gen II cars, the neon lamp on the trunk lid has an anti-static mesh that goes around the lamp. If you lost this ground, it affects ONLY the AM radio!

I didn't know that about the mesh. I do have a Gen II ('97 model), and I recently noticed the rear neon light is no longer working. I have contacted Glitch, and I have instructions about how to investigate. When the temps outside return to moderation (above freezing), I will examine that lamp and look for the the mesh. Thanks for informing me of its purpose.

Back