Car plastic side moulding has white effervescent film

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car plastic side moulding has white effervescent film

Back in Florida and it is time to get the vert out for the winter. Started right up and is looking good. Going to take it over to car show in Leesburg this Saturday the 13th. If anyone is close come on out it is a fun show with food trucks and an outdoor movie after.

The painted plastic side moulding after sitting 10 months has a white effervescent film. It comes off with polish and elbow grease and looks fine after but comes back after sitting. Have any of you had this film? Do any of you know how clean and prevent it from coming back? The X in photo is where I have taken my finger and wiped it

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plastic trim film n coating.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	477271
    Darrell Robinson, 93 Lincoln Mark VIII Convertible Midnight Opal 40K,
    02 Lincoln Blackwood Blk 151K, 03 Lincoln Aviator Kitty Hawk Blk 111K,
    69 Jaguar XKE OTS Opalesent Dark Blue 58K,
    04 Cadillac XLR Neiman Marcus 98/101 Ultra Violet 29K

Hi Darrell, how have you been?

That's strange, I've never seen that on any of my Mark's.

I get a white film on my furniture inside the house when I run a cold mist humidifyier, but I don't think it would be that in Florida. Do you see it on anything else in the garage?

Bill
    1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
    1997 White LSC 135k miles
    1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
    1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
    1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

Hi Bill, doing well, staying busy, Thanks!

You gotta love having that convertible on the road. This year mine gets Historical plates.

The white film is weird, it is only on the body side moulding, no where else. I think it might be a plasticizer in the moulding that the Florida heat is drawing out. It would have to pass through the paint. Was hoping someone on the site would know how to clean it off and stop it.

Comment

Pick up some "Trinova Plastic and Trim Restorer". Google it...I think I got mine from Amazon. Really works well and lasts a long time.
        Bud Pytko
        2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
        2005 Ford F250 6.0 PSD CC 4X4 LB
        2007 Arctic Fox 30' 5th Wheel

Comment

sems like it could be caused by moisture getting under the coating that the coach builder put on the molding.
          get a hair dryer and warm it up and see if it changes.

Comment

Im wondering if where the car is being stored may have an effect
            http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9faasxk.jpg
            1998 Mark Viii LSC, Black but runny,138k Miles... Still
            The problems I have with this car aren't normal compared to the ones everyone else has

Comment

Originally posted by BlackIceLSC View Post
              sems like it could be caused by moisture getting under the coating that the coach builder put on the molding.
              get a hair dryer and warm it up and see if it changes.
              I have not tried the TriNova but have used Novus industrial plastic polish and it works well but it comes back.

Not sure if Coach Builders put a coating on the molding. I do store the car in a garage in Florida during summer and am sure it gets hot in there. But in the winter after I polish it off it looks good but then comes back a week or two later. I never had the problem in Michigan but it keeps getting worse here in Florida. I am considering air conditioning my Florida garage, might stop it? That could get expensive. I already heat the garage in Michigan to 45 degrees.

Comment

Just a thought: Could the adhesive they used on the moulding be having an effect on the plastic? I would try cleaning it, and clear coat . I'd make sure to get plenty in the area where the moulding meets the car. Many adhesives/ sealers give off a vapor that will form on some surfaces. The plastic/leather inside your car will do this to your windows.
                94 MK VIII
                95 MK VIII
                98 MK VIII CE # 87
                04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

Working...
                X