Whistling wind noise - can't eliminate

ovysimac

Registered
Hello All,

In the last year/maybe less, while driving starting at 65MPH and upward, I developed a high-pitched wind whistling noise around the top of both doors (or so I think). I tried everything I could think of to locate the exact source of the noise and eliminate it but to no avail. I even discovered a TCB issued by Ford on how to diagnose and repair wind noise at doors, but it did not help me on my Mark 8.
NOTE: No sun/moonroof, side windows close tight, no water leaks, no rust (desert car), body is straight with no known accidents/body work, no deflectors/mickey-mouse body add-ons/skirts/etc. - just stock.

What I did so far:
  • Used weatherstrip foam inside the top edge of the door - no luck, albeit it diminished the noise a little for a while until it reappeared
  • Replaced the top weatherstrip/seal on driver's side with a good used one (the one that looks like an upside down "7") - no luck.
  • Used various types of rubber stick-on weatherstrip (P-shaped, D-shaped, flat, a combination of these, etc) on the inside lip of both doors, from the bottom corner of the windshield all around the inside top of the door to about the door handle)-no luck
  • I used a grip-on U-shaped rubber seal (upside-down U) on the top door lip (both doors) from the bottom of the windshield to the rear upper corner of the doors thinking that it'll seal shut the top seam of the doors - no luck.
  • I taped the outside of the pass door shut, covering all the seams, including the pass side of the windshield to see if there's at least a change in noise pitch in order to locate the whistling source - no luck
  • With the doors closed, I even caulked the little gap between the top of the driver's door (and afterward the pass. door too) and the upper seal (the upside-down 7), from the bottom of the windshield to the top-rear corner of the door - no luck
  • I taped around the side window while fully raised thinking it may be a window weatherstrip leak - no luck
  • I even stuffed foam in the gap between the top of the pass. front fender and hood-no luck
  • Moved the latch inward a little on both doors to make them close tighter to the point where you need to almost slam them to close-no luck
  • I verified that both doors close the way they're supposed to, with no mis-alignment - the doors are perfectly aligned (perfectly as in a 25 y/o car)
  • Doors do not wiggle leading me to think that the hinges are still good/with no aberrant movement in them

I'm at a point where I think that the noise doesn't come from around the doors. I am totally stumped/ object of my colleagues' scorn as I appear every day at work with my Mark in different stages of this experiment. I can't even listen to my radio because of the hi-pitched whistling noise, and I commute 65 miles round trip every day to work. I am now contemplating selling the vehicle to preserve my sanity, even though it runs well and is a reliable daily driver.

I appreciate any tips/comments/advice which may lead to fixing/or at least improving on this noise situation. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back