Announcement

Collapse

CALL FOR CALENDAR PICS!

It's time to submit pics for the 2019 Lincolns of Distinction Car Club Calendar!

Send me pics of your Lincoln! Any Lincoln. ALL your Lincolns!!

Email them to me at ~

j_a_peters at usa dot net

PLEASE PUT "CALENDAR PICS" IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!!

Please send HIGH RESOLUTION pics, the bigger, the better quality the calendar will be! At an absolute minimum it should be 1200 x 1600.

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...-calendar-pics
See more
See less

Whistling wind noise - can't eliminate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mark on the door pull got me thinking.

There's a rubber gasket of sorts behind the exterior door handle. I wonder if it has failed/folded/degraded. That's one more surface you could "tape off" to check for air leaks.

Also, could air be routed into the door from under the hood somewhere?

I distinctly remember going on vacations in the 'ol family station wagon as a kid, feeling pretty significant airflow from around the interior handle. That was a Ford, too.. (Well, Mercury, anyway)
    Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
    2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	door seal inside.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	473945Wild shot, Could someone have worked on the door, and forgot to replace this part?
      94 MK VIII
      95 MK VIII
      98 MK VIII CE # 87
      04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

Good idea, Tony. I was wondering about that too too. Or maybe if part of it has fallen out of position..
        Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
        2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

I owned this car since 2006 and the whistling noise appeared a few years after buying it, but I managed to eliminate the noise using foam weatherstrip around the interior of the top of both doors. A few months the whistling noise gradually came back and nothing I did (as described in this thread) did any good in eliminating (or at least alleviating) the problem. So no, the door was not worked on in the last 12 years. The air coming from the door pull is a by-product and won't make much (if any) noise - the main problem is the whistling noise coming from areas marked with letters A to F in pic 1.

On the other hand, in my youth when I was driving very fast but didn't have money to buy newer cars, I had some Audis, Chevys and who remembers what else with missing interior door panel(s), or missing door "sound deadener" as in Tony's pic. Some doors had only a brittle plastic foil that I just tore off and never replaced... Never had such a high-pitched and really loud whistling noise, just regular wind noise as in convertibles. So I'm totally stumped...
          Last edited by ovysimac; 02-28-2018, 07:50 PM.
          Semper Paratus!
          Ovy
          93 Mk8 Opal Frost, stock w/custom dual exhaust, coil suspension, HID/LED conversions, limo tint, turbine wheels, aftermarket audio, 140-ish kMI

Comment

I've been following this thread and had hoped to offer some kernel of wisdom but I can't come up with anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

Usually when that happens, I ask myself "what would I do"? (Often that answer is a bit twisted or over the top but in this case, perhaps not.) If it were me and one of my cars - I would buy new replacement weatherstripping for the doors from supercoupeperformance.com

It's not a cheap solution and certainly not guaranteed to be the fix for the problem. But I can't help but think it is one of the better options to pursue in this case.
            JP

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I was considering this avenue. Problem is, the top weatherstrip that they sell (actually it is a pair, for both doors for $200.99) is listed as for Cougar (even though it is listed under "Mark VIII") and the fitment is not guaranteed (key word: LIKELY). From their website:
              "NOTE: I have been told this item WILL NOT fit on the '97/98 Gen II Mark VIII but it will likely fit on the Gen 1 cars. These are a perfect fit for the '89-97 Tbirds/Cougars"

Spending $200 for something that may not fit and then to pay 20% restocking fee to return it is not attractive ($40 buys me a nice single malt...). And in Vegas there's no gen I Mark VIII at any junk yard to try and get another used seal (thinking that no 2 vehicles would kink/mask the seal in EXACTLY the same spot.
              I can drive the vehicle with the right window cracked open 1" but then I have the "convertible-type" wind noise.
              I will tinker with a WeatherTech wind deflector and see if it minimizes teh wind noise while window is rolled down 1-2". In the meanwhile I may get another idea, who knows?

If I come up with a spray that leaves a thick coat AND is halfway easily cleanable, I may spray the seams of the front quarter to try and localize the source but in the meantime I'll use my shooting ear mufflers until I get pulled over by an over-zealous trooper.
              Semper Paratus!
              Ovy
              93 Mk8 Opal Frost, stock w/custom dual exhaust, coil suspension, HID/LED conversions, limo tint, turbine wheels, aftermarket audio, 140-ish kMI

Comment

For the spray, maybe try plasti dip or other peel-able paint?

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...0-spoke-wheels

Bill
                1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
                1997 White LSC 135k miles
                1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
                1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
                1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by ovysimac View Post
                  ($40 buys me a nice single malt...).
                  You fit in well here..
                  Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                  2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

HA!! I FOUND THE SOURCE OF THE ANNOYING WHISTLE!!!

After so many tries and scouring the forums countless of times, on a hunch I jammed a piece of black weatherstrip in the narrow gap between the outside mirrors and the body (pic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	473949

Lo and behold, the whistling noise is gone! Only a very faint "humm" is still present. If I can do a more aerodynamical caulking job around the mirrors to eliminate the gap, I may eliminate 100% of the wind noise.

I never thought that a little gap like that would make such an awfully annoying and loud noise. Not to mention that when I crack the window open the noise changes pitch depending on the window gap until it goes away completely. Then I thought: This is like playing the flute!! You cover one hole/or more holes/or none, and you get the flute to emit various tones... Now my next project is composing a Toccata and Fugue for Mk8 window and orchestra. After some more of that single malt, I may succeed!

Thank you all for your advice.
                    Last edited by ovysimac; 03-05-2018, 02:01 PM.
                    Semper Paratus!
                    Ovy

Comment

Congrats you found it
                      94 MK VIII
                      95 MK VIII
                      98 MK VIII CE # 87
                      04 Chevy PU 3500 4X4

Comment

That was my guess.

Glad you found it.

Bill
                        1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
                        1997 White LSC 135k miles
                        1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
                        1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
                        1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

Congratulations! I'm glad you tracked it down. This whole conversation is a great basis for basic acoustic troubleshooting on these cars. although I have no specific concerns with my own, I'll be revisiting this when she comes out of storage in the spring. Quieter = better, after all.

Your comment about "Toccata and Fugue for Mk8 window and orchestra." reminds me of this classic:

Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                          2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by tixer View Post
                            Congratulations! I'm glad you tracked it down. This whole conversation is a great basis for basic acoustic troubleshooting on these cars. although I have no specific concerns with my own, I'll be revisiting this when she comes out of storage in the spring. Quieter = better, after all.

Your comment about "Toccata and Fugue for Mk8 window and orchestra." reminds me of this classic:

Italian subtotals too! Very funny!
                            Leo
                            1997 Mark VIII LSC - (Moose)
                            1986 Chevy El Camino - (Elky)
                            New York AutoFest show schedule

Comment

Working...
                            X