Doors popping

Misanthropy

Information Junkie
HI Everyone,

I Have had some suspension problems up front and I am in the process of replacing everything. My doors have been popping on each side once they reach a certain point for awhile now.

I have been wanting to add the SCP bracing on the engine cradle/sub frame, but I wanted to get the car straitened before hand. Does anyone know if the two are related and the best way to approach this or if you could help me find a post on the subject, I came up dry.

I have also been experiencing leaking in the front windshield. So this will need to be pulled and reset/sealed.

Sorry keep getting some invalid server request when posting. This website gives me more trouble than my ex wife :)

I attached a word document of my reply since I wasn't able to bypass the error.

Attachments

• Billcu Forms reply.docx
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
I think you may be right in suspecting the door hinges. It's not unusual in high wear Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles.

Sorry keep getting some invalid server request when posting.

If you could post a screen shot of the error(s), it would help. What OS and browser are you using? You may also want to try logging off, clearing your browser cache, then log back onto the site. I've also found if you have an old bookmark of the site, you need to delete it and bookmark a fresh session.

Yes the hinges can wear out. If you look at the lower hinge when you open the door, look at the roller that holds the door open, they can wear out and get a flat spot that can cause the popping when you open the door. You might be able to rotate the roller so it doesn't hit the flat spot.

Another wear spot is the hinge pins, you can check the play in the pins by gently lifting up the door when it is half open, you'll feel the play if it is excessive. I've replaced a couple on the driver's side for that.

HI Driller- I was using IE with OS Win10. I'll make sure to refresh the bookmark or not use at all. If I run into any further problems I will catalog them with screen shots for you.

HI Billcu- I appreciate the information. Its raining and I still have the car up on jacks for the front end work.... SO I wont get to checking the door hinges for a week or so. I do know that there is no play in the door hinge. Also both doors started popping around the same time which is why I deduced structural flex to be the cause. Although it was just a guess and I'm talking out of my butt on that one lol.

I also have been thinking about installing these bracing packages sold by supercoupe performance, but I was concerned about the quality of the craftsmanship/sourcing.

1.) https://www.supercoupeperformance.c...ion-support-brace-awesome-easy-to-install-602
2.) https://www.supercoupeperformance.c...ine-cradle-brace-kit-a-must-for-every-car-236

Problems I have had with supercoupe performance:

All of the suspension you see in the pictures I posted previously in this post were from SCP. A few months after I installed the suspension the rubber around the boots was falling apart.
In addition I ordered the brake conversion kit, which I was told I would need to order different Banjo bolts for (so I did at $50.00 non-refundable from ford parts giant) only to get a call/email letting me know I actually wouldn't need them. This made me think the vendor didn't even know what materials accompanied the products they are selling.

I think its pretty hard to mess up a piece of steel, but I can already imagine myself ordering it and getting paint scratched parts that have been sitting on the shelf for 15 years (referring to the degradation of rubber from the previous parts I purchased)

I am all for supporting the community vendors. Sorry for the rant

I've known Bill at SCP for quite a while. I've bought quite a few parts from him over the years with no complaints.

I'm not sure of the current sourcing for the braces you are contemplating but they have gone through more than a couple iterations throughout the years. I have had a set of these braces on the front of the Blue Flame for many years and just recently replaced them with a self-made copy manufactured from Chromoly steel for weight savings (don't laugh...LOL). I'm not sure if they are painted or powder coated, but I don't think you would be disappointed in getting these pieces from SCP.

Back