Rolling Rear Fender

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
Ok, since it would seem there are more then just the two of me who want to know about this... :p What's the deal with the fender roll?

And don't spare the horrific details... :D

I just did the rear fender roll about 2 weeks ago. I used the roller from Eastwood. A friend of mine has one that I borrowed. I borrowed a heat gun from work. Heating the rear fender lip seemed to take forever. Then it seemed to cool off real quick. I did get some cracking of the paint on the inside of the lip, between the spot welds. It looks like the paint is really thick there.

It is a real PITA to get the roller to start bending the lip upward. You have to get the roller at the correct angle to get the lip starting to bend upward. The roller is almost pointing straight up when you start. Then as the lip starts to bend upward, you can change the angle of the roller to start pushing the lip out. It takes some muscle to get the roller moving back and forth. You will need to change the length of the roller because of the change of the curvature of the fender.

I didn't get my fender lip pressed all the way it could have gone. I think it is enough out of the way to clear the tires. I'll see if I can get some good pics this afternoon.

I rented a tool and did the 95 a few years back, actually Izack was there. I rented it again a little more recently to roll the 97s fenders and a friends car.

Here is a pic taken from inside the fenderwell looking out. You can see the cracks between the spot welds. Maybe I didn't heat it up enough?

gallery_9_39_23809.jpg

The ones I've seen cut had no issues. Honestly never thought much of the spot welds. I probably won't be doing this until I get my lift, but I need to do something and the body guy doing my hood won't roll the fenders. I was hoping he would. :(

The ones I've seen cut had no issues. Honestly never thought much of the spot welds. I probably won't be doing this until I get my lift, but I need to do something and the body guy doing my hood won't roll the fenders. I was hoping he would. :(

Man if this isn't something "you" would do yourself...

No shot I'm gonna try this... :rolleyes:

Man if this isn't something "you" would do yourself...

No shot I'm gonna try this... :rolleyes:

Whatttttt??? I got a new air cut-off tool for Christmas I've been dying to use on something! Bring your car on down here! LOL :D

I found a guy locally on a local forum that was willing to rent his roller tool for $40. I had it for a weekend and got mine done. It's a slow process, especially with the heating of the paint. I cracked mine also, but that may be because I was getting impatient. The cracks are on the inside though, so they're not noticeable. I also had to cut the very top corner of bumper where the screw is inside the fenderwell on both sides. I've got 10" wheels and 285 tires though, so I don't know if everyone would need to do that or not.

Looks like this when lowered...

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

I've got 10" wheels and 285 tires though, so I don't know if everyone would need to do that or not.

Are those the 2005-2009 18x10s FR500s with 40mm offset? What profile are those 285s?

I'm seriously considering a pair of 18x10s so I can get a wider set of drag radials, like 305/35R18s. The biggest I can go with the 18x9s are 265s and the 255 Nittos are not going to last.

Last edited:
Are the spokes on those rear wheels larger or fatter then the front wheels?

The look very good BTW... :D

It might be a good idea to have one person hold the heat gun on the fender while another person rolls it. It seemed to cool off pretty quick.

Are those the 2005-2009 18x10s FR500s with 40mm offset? What profile are those 285s?

I'm seriously considering a pair of 18x10s so I can get a wider set of drag radials, like 305/35R18s. The biggest I can go with the 18x9s are 265s and the 255 Nittos are not going to last.

Yes sir, they are. The tires are 285/40/18. Same overall height as the stock 225/60/16's. Have fun fitting 305's on there. If the 10" wheels had a higher offset, I believe it would work pretty well, but my 285's are super close, even with the fenders rolled all the way in.

Are the spokes on those rear wheels larger or fatter then the front wheels?

The look very good BTW... :D

The spokes are the same....the only difference between the front and rears are the offset and the subsequent lip on the rears. Also, I don't have the centercaps on the rears yet cuz the axle shafts stick out too far and I haven't cut them yet.

Back