Sticky Mickeys

KStromberg

VIII looking for 8s
Well folks, my traction concerns are now over. The Mickey Thompson E/T Streets were mounted on the Silver Flame today. I opted for 255-50-16. They are a very sticky tire and the car hooks like a psycho now. :har:

Funny story. I was on my way home and I rounded a corner and really got into it. It hooked so hard that I had a can of degreaser in the trunk that I forgot about and it slammed into the side panel so hard it tripped my inertia switch and the car stalled! NOTE: Remove all loose objects :D

Mickeys1.jpg

Mickeys2.jpg

Congrats on the dr's. :) I had a set of DR's on on my stock octastars, and it made a huge difference launching the car over street tires. Since going to 18's, the MT DR's are still better than street tires, but the car breaks the tires way loose during the 1-2 shift while under boost. I am thinking that is due to less side wall flex on the 18" vs 16" wheel.

Never checked, but I probably do. The 60's are in the low 1.8's when it hook's. I am not going to use bead locks and tear up my wheels though. I don't race the car enough to justify slicks and custom rims, so if the balance goes out on the rears, they will just have to be rebalanced :)

Gotcha, i wouldn't do it either. Anyway you turn terrific times, and I was just curious as to how you got them to hook as well as you have.

I run between 15 and 20 PSI in my 275/40-17" MT's, and get 1.7 second 60's in my Cobra and SC (sadly only 1.9 second 60's in my LSC). The tires do move a 1/4", or so, on each launch on the Cobra and SC.

I would be thrilled with a 1.7 using the set-up that is on the car now - 265 40 18 mt dr's. Maybe this fall...

Your 1.9 is a good number, DLF. I spent a couple years in the 2.0 - 2.1 range, and would again, be thrilled with a 1.9. :)

Just got a pair today. MT 255/50-16. Those wheels weigh only 15 pounds each. I got an 8" wide wheel so I can get a wider drag tire in the future if I need to.

gallery_9_30_162949.jpg

Just got a pair today. MT 255/50-16. Those wheels weigh only 15 pounds each. I got an 8" wide wheel so I can get a wider drag tire in the future if I need to.

I think JP would like to know more about those wheels. Me too :) Do you have Ed's caliper extension kit on the car? What is the bolt pattern? Any rubbing?

Those are Enkei RPF1 wheels. Mustang bolt pattern, 38mm offset. I have the cobra rear rotors. Right now they do rub the e brake cable. That looks like an easy fix though.

I plan on getting some 17" of these same wheels for road racing.

I think JP would like to know more about those wheels. Me too :) Do you have Ed's caliper extension kit on the car? What is the bolt pattern? Any rubbing?

You can punch her hard through a corner with absolute control. Do the same on street tires, and the car is coming around on you. I've experienced the "before and after" in that situation. They stick like glue. :D

Cool

Cool

I had the same exact slicks, loved them. But God help you if you drive home in the rain or light mist with 410s. My car was barely controllable even at 45MPH. That was before the supercharger. Or maybee it was our slippery FL seashells roads added to it. It was horrible i had to drive at 40MPH all way home and it was pouring out, so i wasnt going to pull over and change them on side of the road. I would never do it again. Make sure you put them in the trunk when you leave.
There killer at the track though. I like those rims too. Grats.

I drove home in the rain the other day with mine. I gave here a little bit of throttle just to see, and yeah...it was like a zamboni on an ice rink. :p

Back