Winter Idol/Idle

AmpTrooper

Registered
Hello y 'all,
Its been a while. We bought a house and have been doing a lot of work on it. Things are pretty good now. Still have some projects but, thee will always be projects with a home that is 113 years old. Good to own a home again though!

Okay so, my 1983 Cont. is having a winter issue. I have looked up but found conflicting info. So i though i would pick your brains. She works fine in temps over 40 under that, what happens is the idle runs fast as it should to start but does not slow down once it has warmed up. I have had to drive it that way for over 45 miles and it was still running full blast. Also, when it does this it has isses starting as if the battery is not getting a proper charge. If i have it parked and wait a sit and keep lightly tapping on the gas i can sometimes get the idle to slow down and idle at normal speed. Again, above 40 degrees and it runs perfect. This car has been in Florida its whole life. This is the first real full winter with low temps that it has ever had. I do not drive it much in the winter but the few times i do i dont want it running like this as it an cause a lot of wear on the engine.
Any thoughts? I have my ideas but this one place online basically said that was not it. So, i need more heads on this so i can get the right part. I would like tobfix it this weekend as it is going be in the 50 s this weekend! It can stay that way too! Thanks for your help!

Back