1999 Continental - New Air Ride Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Continental - New Air Ride Problem

In my previous air ride post, I replaced the rear air bags and everything was peachy. Now, a year or so later, the rear is dragging again. When I first noticed this, I unhooked the battery and let it set a while, reconnected the battery and the pump started and vehicle leveled. Went down again within a day and would not level (pump not running). Tried unhooking the battery and reconnecting, but it did not work this time. No pump action. I checked the voltage at the air pump connection and it was around 10 volts (if memory is correct). I jumped the pump straight to the battery terminals and it worked. Plugged it back in and nothing. I purchased an aftermarket air pump and installed it. Still does not come on. Is it possible this is an issue with the rear leveling sensor(s) not telling the pump to start up? Yes, switch in trunk in ON. Need some guidance and direction please. Thanks!

I

EDIT: Air suspension relay
    Last edited by driller; 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM.
    JP

Comment

It's just a hunch, but I'd be suspicious of the Air Ride Relay, next.

Lots of information on it in this thread:
      http://lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbu...n-my-navigator

I know Eric "Lvnmarks" just replaced the harness on his, too, so I know they're a trouble spot.
      Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
      2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

As usual, you guys were spot on diagnosing the relay as the reason the pump would not run. Thanks.

Now, with the pump running, I am getting no lift in the rear. There is a slight leak at the connection where the line enters the dryer on the pump, but I would think I would still get some lift. Is it possible I destroyed the new bags ( replaced a year ago) on the rear from driving it home ( approximately 20 miles), bottomed out? Damn! Great when it works. Sucks when it doesn't.

Comment

I don't think it's real likely that the bags were damaged, but even the smallest leak will give you trouble.

I'd re-check all of the connections on the air-lines. They can be kinda fiddly. double-checking the electrical connections on the solenoids. (and/or having a friend listen for them to "click" when firing up the system.) If you had the solenoids removed from the bags, the O-Rings likely need to be replaced, and lubricated. O-Rings are available here, assuming they're the same size as the Mark VIII ones.. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1166809

Here's a little "hack" that won't necessarily make life easier for you, but you might find it interesting. The air lines, are the exact diameter of a standard "Presta" style air valve used on most bicycles. When the compressor bit the dust on my old Town Car, I was able to shove the air line right into the end of my bike pump, turn the key to accessory to activate the solenoids, then pump like mad to inflate the rear end. It worked great, and could probably be used as a troubleshooting measure in a pinch.
          Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
          2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X