Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lincoln LS 05 V8 Needs new Antifreeze ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln LS 05 V8 Needs new Antifreeze ...

********* I am not sure how much Antifreeze to put in my car. I have Zerex g-05, which is the same as the recommended brand, Motor Craft. I know I need distilled water too. Vehicle has No antifreeze in it now & hasn't for a while . The gurgling/ Burping sound seems to have gone away with two times of bleeding out the air.

*********** Questions for Driller: ..*********** . Is it OK to open up the reservoir cap after All the air bleeding or not ? I opened it to check to see if any water was gone since it had been loosing water. I watched one of your videos & I wasn't sure if I could open reservoir cap or not after bleeding.
    Side note: when my car was worked on in Sept 2016, Due to loosing water, I am sure the shop did not bleed the air out. Why? Because I always smelled steam & the temp guage is always just slightly above midline. I kept taking it back to the shop. He kept saying he measured the temp on his computer.
    I kept returning. Then he changed a small gasket. The car still smelled like a steam iron. Temp still above midline. Never went down. Car ran very slightly rough at times & heard slight gurgling under hood while at red light. He changed one coil. No improvement. I went back to shop again. He couldn't find anything wrong. Then in Febary 2018, oil appears in Reservoir. I took it to shop. He kept it X 3 days & never worked on it. I had it towed to Ford Dealer.
    They looked at it briefly but did not do any diagnostics stating if they took it all apart, they may not be able to put it back together again. Also stated they couldn't get an engine for it if need be. Omg.
    So that's when I joined this Forum. I have used 2 bottles of Steel Seal w Success so far. Driven about 300 miles & no more oil present in reservoir. No more water loss, ( I had overfilled the reservoir & did not know it) We have bled the air out twice & that noise is gone. I am in Chula Vista, Ca, The Temp here is steady, never too cold.
    ************* How much Antifreeze do I need for my engine,3.9 ? Do I put in the Antifreeze first then the distilled water ? Do I need a Funnel ? Do I need to put some Directly into the Radiator Hose too to offset any air bubbles ? Do you have any tips to do all this ? I have one person helping me & we both are Novices in this . I am trying to repair any damage done to my car since the shop didn't bleed the air out & used incorrect antifreeze.
    And it only has 72, 075 miles on it. I want to sell it since I have 3 vehicles & Ca just raised the gas tax again. It's a Lovely & very safe car & I will miss her.
    Thanks to Jerry for All your tips too. Especially the Steel Seal. So far So Good.

I did a little googling, and found a pretty solid looking reference to the Lincoln LS (V8) requiring 11.9 quarts of Antifreeze, so I'd use that as your baseline.

However, if your gurgling is gone, and your fluid levels are stable, you might be all set as-is. Unless you mean it's no longer gurgling because it is absolutely empty, which could be a little frightening..

For the sake of a complete answer, my approach to mixing has always been very simple. I've always taken the full jug of antifreeze, and an old (empty) jug of antifreeze, split the full one between the two, and topped both off with water. Particularly if you are in a mild climate, it's not an exact science. Even so, the method I describe here is consistently accurate enough to protect my cars down to -40F

Keep in mind you can also buy "pre-dilluted" antifreeze (coolant) these days, so you'll want to check the packaging to make sure you get your ratios right.

Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
    2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Here is the air bleed procedure...
      JP

Comment

I prefer to use the pre-diluted 50/50 mix when it comes to adding antifreeze.

Do not open the reservoir cap when the engine is warm! After the engine has cooled, add coolant to the reservoir to bring the level to the cold fill MAX mark. Repeat as necessary... it may take a couple rounds or more to get all the air out.
        JP

Comment

Thank you to Tixer & Driller for your answers. I will try to answer some questions.

The gurgling has stopped because I bled the air twice as I watched Drillers you tube videos. ( I think it was driller!) the video was very helpful.
          As far as I know, the engine and radiator are full of fluid i.e. Water only. All coolant is gone. That's why I needed help to refill it.
          ******* ? *******Do I have to empty the entire Engine/ radiator of fluid then put in the coolant then start the bleeding of air process all over again ? I am not sure what to do. There's No Coolant now, only water.
          I know I can use diluted or undiluted. The Ford place only has Undiluted here.
          *********** ? ******Driller...... I realize not to open reservoir when car is hot due to maybe getting burned. I am just wondering if opening it lets in more air since the presssure is being released. Maybe a dumb question, but I don't know. And I wasn't exactly sure what you meant on your video when at the end, you said you didn't want to open up the reservoir again since the system was totally bled & it takes too long to redo it. Of course, I agree with that.
          (at the repair shop in Chula Vista, it was never bled ) and Driller, ..... The Link to the 2006 how to bleed, the link did not work at all, ---( demean info. )

Sorry but after reading the answers, I still don't know how to proceed to put in brand new coolant. I can mix it with distilled water but, then what ?? Just pour all 11.9 quarts into reservoir slowly after I empty all the water that's in there now ? Then, start the bleeding process all over again. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Susieq View Post
            Thank you to Tixer & Driller for your answers. I will try to answer some questions.
            I am not sure what to do. There's No Coolant now, only water.
            Got it. That's actually a pretty smart way to troubleshoot it. No point in wasting the money on fluids you might loose anyway.

According to Google, 11.9 quarts, is about 3 Gallons. (2.975, actually.) So for a full 50/50 mix, you'd need 1.5 gallons of the full-strength antifreeze. It sounds like where you are, you may be able to do less though? I'd think that if you find a way to drain/siphon out one gallon of your water, and replace it with 1 gallon of pure antifreeze. Drive the car around a bit to "mix" it, then (once it cools!) test it with one of these tools - they're cheap, and you can get them at any auto parts store.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7761024

Sometimes they'll have a "fancier" one with a bit needle on a swivel, but I prefer the kind above, with the floating balls.

If the tester indicates you're safe for the maximum low temperature for your area, you'll be all set. If not, you may have to buy one more jug of antifreeze, and do a little more mixing.
            Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
            2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Nope... not my video.

For what it's worth, I agree with draining some out and replacing it with full strength to try to achieve a 50/50 mix.

Try this link... http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
              JP

Comment

Working...
              X