Brake Parts recommendation? OE Motorcraft grade for 98 Crown Vic

maxmk8

Registered
To preface my main goal is to have nice quiet braking. The current brakes are actually VERY strong, and very loud. I think it is because i used organic pads... that destroyed my rotors.

Rear rotors have 185k miles on it... they don't seem very worn (groves etc) but the rear brakes are making a bit of noise...

Front rotors are gone after only 50k miles WTF? Deep groves and TONS of noise also.

Front pads still seem good with at least 30-40% remaining.
Rear pads at 30%

I figured by 200k, I am going to need all new pads/rotors.

The current rotors in front are Brembos from tirerack... and they are not holding up well.

OEM motorcrafts rotors are $105 a piece which is pricy...
OEM pads are $80 also which is pricy...

Yes I have priced all items with discounts from for dealers...

Any tips on other high quality brake parts? The current ones are making WAYYYYYY too much noise and the car sometimes sounds like a train while stopping while it always sounds like a semi lol.

Last edited:
Tire rack has front pads for only $9 on closeout!!!! that is insanely cheap. "oem" material from satisfied though... eh.

You know me, I've used Napa brand rotors all my life and have had nothing but success. Here is what I would do if I was in your boat. (lol, boat, get it!?)

Premium rotors and pads up front.
Cheapy rotors and pads in the rear.

Just stick with the regular pads, you'll get more dust but they will be QUIET.

Now my regular do you mean semi-metallic or organic?

I currently have organics which have amazing stopping power but destroyed my rotors....

I am thinking of getting ceramic?! but only if braking performance is no worse than semi-metallic.

The brake dust is so bad right now that the wheels are just perma-covered..

Semi-metallic is the regular now, I think. You could go with ceramics, but I think they are louder, not sure though.

Checked crownvic.net jez I am a member of too many forums :p they seem to think that ceramics are the quietest pads. They are all split on the rotors though.

My advice is Motorcraft parts. Get the premium rotors and the organic pads. Change the pads more often and the rotors will last a lifetime.

Not to be argumentive, but it sure sounds like you have semi-metallic pads on there now. I've never seen organic pads groove a rotor unless they were wore to nothing.

My advice is Motorcraft parts. Get the premium rotors and the organic pads. Change the pads more often and the rotors will last a lifetime.

Not to be argumentive, but it sure sounds like you have semi-metallic pads on there now. I've never seen organic pads groove a rotor unless they were wore to nothing.

I'm am nearly positive i got organics because they were only $25 a set... I knew that organics don't last long but have good stopping power. They were purchased because I thought I wasn't going to keep that car for a while... given the current economic conditions that will change. And I will probably keep it until it reaches 250k miles.

The motorcraft parts are going to cost me $600, which is insane considering the car is worth $1500.

I don't want the squeeks and i don't want another set of front rotors in the next 50k miles... but it looks like I can save $200 by purchasing Brembo rotors and satisfied ceramic pads from tire-rack.
They all seem like quality parts. For whatever reason the current pads totally destroyed the front rotors. They have at least 40% remaining and only about 40k miles on them. The original rotors were grooved also but they had a whopping 140k miles on them.

Back