A super fun car. 1999 Ford Contour SVT with a newly added 363 HP Turbo

crewchiefpro

Registered
I have a few rambling thoughts after driving my newly modified Ford Contour SVT 3.0 Turbo. If you are thinking of turbocharging something -- Do It.

First, 363 HP in a lightweight great handling car is fantastic. This thing is out of control fast. 1st and 2nd gear are nearly worthless, no traction what so ever. 3rd gear is better but you better know exactly where you want to go because it compresses time pretty quickly. 4th and 5th gears are just amazing. 125 mph comes and it is still accelerating HARD. I am not sure what the top speed is but I would guess 175 fairly easy. When I merged onto the highway in 3rd gear it went from 50 to 100 mph right now.

While it is not even close to my dragster, it is fast for a street car. There is far more drama also. You are never exactly sure in 2nd or 3rd gear which direction it wants to go until it happens. At least with the race car there is some kind of warning....

My wife hates it. She loved her Lincoln Mark and loves her new Audi Turbo. So that means she will never bother me to drive it and I like it.

Those turboed are a blast. My buddy picked one up that already had the swap. It was having a few problems and was still a high 11-low 12 second car. Well, with traction that is.

Wow, that does sound like fun. How will the drivetrain hold up?

Should hold up well, the clutch, trans, and differential are all aftermarket or mostly aftermarket. The engine is good to 500 hp with no reported problems. It is a twin cam 24 valve motor with 205 hp stock and this made 363 hp at the wheels at only 5400 rpm. There is a bunch left in it but it is already too much. The torque is very similar to the Mark 8, it pulls cleanly and powerfully from 3000 to 7000. When tuned properly it will pull hard to 7500.

It weighs 2950 lbs.

Back