Portland OR and Texas Emissions

HOTLNC

Charter Member
Paid Member
Daughter #2 moved from Fort Worth to Portland OR. I almost rebuilt her 95 Cougar before she left. So of course, the parts I didn't replace is giving her trouble.

During the drive to Portland, her CHECK ENGINE light turned on. She had the codes pulled and it was her bank #2 heated O2 sensor. I told her she will need to get that replaced before it will pass emissions.

Emissions are due at the same time as license plates. They could care less about the quality of the brakes, but they sure are nit-picky about emissions, I found out. Her Texas plate expiries in December. So, since her wrench is 2000 miles away, she threw herself on the mercy of a local repair shop (it is part of a nation wide chain.)

After their test, they estimated she needed:

4 each O2 sensors at $100 each.
3 each Catalytic Converters at $300 each
1 each injector cleaning at $35.
3 Hours labor at $80 each.

I spoke with the local wrench and he sounded like he knew what he was doing. I felt the chemical injector cleaning was not really needed, but figured that was some kind of mandatory nation-wide requirement. So I advised Daughter #2 to bite the bullet and get it done.

Over $1600. The engine light is not on. She should be able to pass emissions when she get her new plates.

Sounds reasonable... $80 an hour for labor is super cheap... rates are $150+ here

If she took it to a dealer that bill would have been 5k.

I would only have the O2 sensors replaced and then go to emmisions....the rest are just money-making add-ons for the shop!

I find it hard to believe it needs $900 WORTH OF CATS! :eek:

How do they know? After all, the O2s need replaced, so what told them the cats needed replaced?

...and even if it DID need cats, there are much cheaper cats to be had out there....I'l gut the one on the drivers side and remove the pass side one. Install an aftermarket one at a fraction of the cost!

According to the wrench that I spoke to, he did a flow rate test on the exhaust. That is the only way I know of to test for plugged up cats.

And yeah, I would have replaced the two front O2 sensors first than do the rear ones if it was still throwing codes.

But I'm not there.

Back