Slow to start to crank (or sometimes no crank at all)

MindyMark

Registered
I've been having this intermittent problem on my Cougar for about 3 years. Basically what happens is sometimes when you turn the key to start and you get nothing for a few seconds then the car cranks over and starts like normal. Sometimes this process takes anywhere from 3 to 6 seconds before the car starts cranking. When it does finally start to crank everything sounds normal and it starts like it should.

Here are a few other things I know:

• The problem gets worse as it gets colder outside. In the summer time it hardly ever happens.

• [*]I've had the starter off and tested about a year ago. Everything came back fine. They cleaned the connections up and I didn't have the problem again for maybe 6 months or so.

[*]I replaced the ignition switch (because it was cheap and easy). No change.

[*]Does not appear to be a MLPS problem, as the symptoms don't change if you move the gear shifter.

I'm thinking the solenoid is sticking on the starter. Can you replace just the solenoid like you could on older cars or do you have to replace the whole starter?

Other thoughts?

Back