1998 Ranger 3.0 V6 5-Speed Check Engine Light Solid

N

Neilster

I thought I'd share this with who ever might be interested down the road. The Check Engine light recently came on solid on my wife's 1998 Ranger (80K miles). Checking the manual, it suggested one of three things. Loose gas cap, poor quality fuel and/or water in the fuel. We put in some gas line antifreeze and some high test gas but even after several days the light stayed on solid. I did notice that it had a tendency to ping or knock under load as well.

So, this morning I decided to change the spark plugs and change the oil. I figured that with 80K on it, probably the plugs were original and it would be a cheap fix and a good maintenance move regardless. The plugs were in bad shape. Gap was waaaay off and there were some nasty deposits as well. I replaced them with Champion Copper Tops and gapped them to spec., then took it for a run.

It ran great, but the Check Engine light remained on. My next thought, how do you reset the computer. Easy, disconnect the battery, which I did. The posts needed cleaning away. So, I left it disconnected for a while and then reconnected it and took it for a spin. I drove it around town for 10 minutes then onto the express way for a 15 minute run.

Problem solved. No more Check Engine light and no more pinging. Heather's a happy camper...

RE: 1998 Ranger 3.0 V6 5-Speed Check Engine Light Solid

For future reference:

Removing the positive battery cable and touching it to the negative battery connection instantly resets the "Check Engine" light on most Ford vehicles. It might be worth a try on a GM vehicle as well.

It also resets the computer and the digital radio and the clock - but I think that happenes with no battery and a wait as well.

If you have a cap it also makes a hell of a spark!

Well, so much for a quick fix. The Check Engine light came back on solid a few days ago. I guess I'll have to take it to a shop to read the codes off the OBDII. Let's hope it's just a flakey sensor or something.

I also notice it doesn't seem to run as smooth at low RPM's in the higher gears.

Oh, well.

It might be the 02 sensors. Friend of mine's did the same thing. I have some s/w I bought for my contour... plugged in, scanned, o2s... 20 minutes later...

Can't some local auto changes do it for you? Seems like here in the states some will.

Best of luck,
Scott

Turned out to be the EGR Sensor. Apparently a common problem. Part was about $100 CDN, 1/2 diagnostic time incl. set up and 1/2 hour installation and test. Not too bad I guess. Hard to get out of any garage these days for $200 or less these days if you need any parts at all.

Back