The new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr

RE: The new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr

I finally got a good look at one. Not bad. Black on black.
Someone that works where I deliver in Ohio. She really likes it. Says the handling and ride are great esp. compared to the Chrysler 300 she traded in for it.
I'll keep you posted on any developments.

It'll probably end up being a better, more reliable car than the LS. Not quite as nice, but the mazda chassis it's on is a good start.

I (finally) got a call from my local dealer. The Zephyer which I ordered on January 19th is expected to be here the week of March 20th. Yes indeed....nine weeks. I am assuming that since this is the first word I have heard they didn't even start the process untill this week. (2/27) Nontheless, according to my dealer, there is only a three day supply of the cars in the system. Most US cars have a 20 day supply. From an owners point of view it may be good to have a hot seller, but I am frustrated by the three extra weeks. Do any of you have any light to shed on the topic? Are these really selling that well or did Lincoln get caught trying to wait and see if they would sell before they really got production ramped up? Since I have no previous experience ordering vehicles I was perhaps too optimistic about how the process would go....

Well I am not sure if you want to delay your purchase or not, but the Zephyr is getting a significant engine upgrade pretty soon. Ford is bumping the 3.0 to a 3.5 and it may come with AWD. Besides that the Zephyrs are not really "top sellers" they just have a pretty limited supply. I believe they have sold about 7.5k Zephyrs so far.

Interesting. The AWD would appeal to me greatly in dealing with the Iowa winters if this were my only car. Since I own two four wheel drive vehicles it's not a big issue. The extra power of a bigger engine is always nice. It's probably a good move by Lincoln if they really want to compete against Lexus and BMW. The fact that you can find the Zephyr on dealer lots certainly confims your point about not being "top sellers".I'll consider my options, one of which is to wait. If the car I ordered found it's way into my hands by St. Patricks day I'm sure I will be inclined to accept delivery. We'll see....

They are even dropping the Zephyr name after this year. It will be renamed Mark-Z.

Good luck with your new car.

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

I don't mind the mechanical upgrades. They say they're going to change the front end too, i'm not sure on that one. I like the way it looks now.

I wish they'd keep the Zephyr name. I'm sick of the alphabet soup of new cars, the MK LT, the MK-Z, etc. Complete BS if you ask me.

If i were going to buy an MK-Z i'd tell the salesman he needs to throw in Zephyr badging, installed, and remove the alphanumeric crap.

I didn't know they were going to rebadge the Zephyr, but it doesn't surprise me. I read something recently about Lincoln going to the non-word names so that people will call it a Lincoln rather than Zephyr, Towncar, etc. It's supposedly part of Fords revival of the luxury line. In other words, they don't want people to think of Lincolns as Fords or Mercurys. If they are going to compete with Lexus and BMW the definately need to raise the bar regarding how people view Lincoln. That strategy has obviously worked for Lexus. I certainly don't hear people refering to their ES330 as a Toyota. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

Finally, the Lincoln Zephyr I ordered in January arrived. One of the positive notes is that Lincoln had sweetened the rebates since I ordered the car. After careful consideration, I took delivery and am happy to report that the vehicle is surpassing my expectations. It's too early to give any real data on performance, mileage, etc since I only have 200 miles on it. Since its been nine weeks since I drove the demo, I had almost forgotten the feel of the car. The fit and finish seems quite good. I'll report more after I put on a few miles. Anyone else have an opinion or drivers report on the Zephyr? (a.k.a. MK-Z)?

Congrats and get some pics of the new addition to the stable!

Congrats! Glad you're enjoying it, and yes, please post pics.

I will get some photos up as soon as possible. For now I thought I would give you the 1000 mile report. The performance has been quite good. Very quiet, smooth tranny operation, and the other things one would expect. The mileage so far leaves a lot to be desired. It came in at 16.5. miles per gallon. Granted there is very little highway miles in the first 1000, but it still seems low. It will be interesting to see what the next thousan brings in terms of mileage. I also want to do a tank or two of highway - only miles to see what results I get. Hopefully, I will have time to post some pics soon. Does anyone else have a Zephyr report??

Mine has averaged close to 30 on the highway!! Not bad for a sedan!!!

So, is the Zeph based on a Ford 500 or a Ford Fusion?

Guess I'll order my Zephyr badges now so I can put them on the car when I get it......as an AWD Mk-Z. They really need to keep the Zephyr name........

Back