I hate Windows 8

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
Long story short, I bought a new laptop to use in the garage and take to the track back in late spring. After installing the SCT software and drivers to get the tuning and data logging duties in order it has hardly been used.

Then a few weeks ago when I had it on for no special reason I noticed an alert box saying something about Windows needed to restart to finish installing updates. No biggie, click "OK" and wait for the reboot.

It never booted back up but went into diagnostic mode. Many attempts later I could not get it to do anything. After much googling and trying a Windows 'repair' with a USB stick I have given up. No restore would work, no reset would work and diagnostics of the hardware indicate bad sectors on the HDD (which I find hard to believe given the low hours on the machine). :(

I am resolved to do a clean install of windows but I haven't been able to get the system to boot from the USB stick (which works on any other machine I've tried). I'm about to just give up and buy an SSD and swap the HDD out or take a day off to spend with tech support.

Any ideas? FWIW, it's a Lenovo X240.

As if I needed another reason to hate Windows 8. :(

Back