Crap Cars!

RE: Crap Cars!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Cadillac Cimmaron?Lincoln Versailles?Are those even sequels? Maybe the Pinto based Mustang II?[/div]

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!!

The Cimarron comes in at #13: "If this car was a cavalier, you'd have paid a lot less, dumbass."

But the winner, much to my disappointment (although I can see the logic here), is the Ford Mustang II (1974) "If this car was any more crap, it'd have flies buzzing round it."

And for the winner, I'm going to (if JP can do this, and he usually can), purchase 4 tickets to the LOD Hurricane Raffle in your name! Congrats!

Hmmph, the 1974 Ford Mustang II? I'd certainly would have listed it but perhaps not at the number one spot.

I gotta admire the Cimarron quote: "If this car was a cavalier, you'd have paid a lot less, dumbass." :7

BTW, go ahead with the tickets if you wish, just be sure to include a note. :)

K, payment sent, congrats Paul!

Perhaps this explains it JP: "there wasn't even the option of a V8..." "Instead it was a pitiful, unlovable, incompetent blot on the once great Mustang name."

EDIT: Note also, it's specifically the 1974 model that they speak of.

Cars which don't perform to expectations were noted quite frequently in this book.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
It was one ugly carhttp://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/galleries/mustang/pages/1974_FordMustang-II.htmhttp://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/galleries/mustang/images/1974_FordMustang-II.jpg
[/div]Sure was. (is) It's hard making a Pinto look like a Mustang. And that Faux Landau roof is just plain "barf" IMHO.

Hey, my first car was a Mustang II...dangit.
I owned 5-6 of them

first one was a 78 King Cobra (black/orange) Great little car with sometheing like 140HP but it was the "first 5.0 badged mustang" ever.

subsequent ones were the Black and Gold 76 Cobra II's... again with paltry 302's, but a simple "heads and cam" swap really woke em up!

Granted, they weren't Cobra's really nor really mustangs, but...
They weren't BAD cars overall...Especially considering the "car industry" at the time...

The 74 Mustang II (my least favorite of the bunch) WAS ACTUALLY Motor Trends Car of the year!.
They had a "kinda cool 74 notch back with platinum silver exterior and matching interior" that looked like something "Barbarella" would have worn *haha*

With that said....

when I got that first mustang II I didn't even know how to change a TIRE.

That little car with all it's quirks and problems taught me ALOT about cars and mechanics overall.

By the time my "mustang II career" ended I was building my own 5.0 motors from the ground up..
and pulling and replacing transmissions in a matter of hours.

ALSO... you guys that say the Mark 8's are so great!

There is one thing that the Mark 8 and the Mustang II have in common.
TREMNDOUS COWL SHAKE when the car is driven "at or near it's limit".

When I first started driving my Mark 8, I noticed this familiar trait right off the bat.
There was something "oddly familar" about the way this car handled.
It was like "re-uniting" with an old friend.

I will also say that the Mustang II and the Mark 8 are very "forgiving cars" when it comes to steering inputs, it's as if the car is actually giving you a moment to "consider".. and will protest in a manner that suggests that the car actually says to you "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT"?
on the opposite end of the spectrum was my little 84 SVO,
The Mustang SVO was a totally different animal when it came to "being forgiving".

If the driver made an "error" that would take the car off the road, the car PROMPTLY RESPONDED WITH DRIVING RIGHT OFF THE ROAD!

I loved my mustang II's, they taught me alot.. and had I gotten a "dependable chevy" or something like that for my first car, I would probably be one of those people that are often found "at the mercy of some stealership".

Sorry for bring back up this old thread, I just found it.
HAHA

Another thing about the mustang II and "ALL" the other cars I have owned.

Each of them were a "niche car" that had literally ZERO aftermarket support.
The mustang 2 didn't have any aftermarket support because "it wasn't a real mustang".

The SVO didn't have any aftermarket support because there wasn't enough of them made to actually garner aftermarket interest.

And.. the Last car on my list had/has very little aftermarket support because the industrys stance that "no one in their right mind" would modify such a car.
..'cept "US"..the few, the loud.. Mark 8 zealots.
HAHA

imo my dad has a 2001 STS amongst a lot of other cars and in no way is that car crappy. it makes one awesome daily cruiser for sure.

imo my dad has a 2001 STS amongst a lot of other cars and in no way is that car crappy. it makes one awesome daily cruiser for sure.

I agree...though clearly not up to par with a Mark VIII. ;)

They probably put the Caddy on the list for its propensity to blow head gaskets...thus the "Deathstar" nickname. Easiest way to lose $5K.

The STS didn't make the crap list. BTW I think there's a new book or two out by Porter. I also got Lemons and Motor Mania, after enjoying this book so much, and I think I'm waiting on a US release of another book.

Motor Mania is actually quite an interesting book, with just little bits of factual information which can be quite humorous.

My uncle had a Cadillac Cimarron. My dad ended up replacing the engine in it. total POS!

Can you believe it...a Cadillac with a 4 cylinder and a 5-speed?

Now they call it a Catera! :D

Back