Need some aviation help

LUXHTRD_54

Registered
Hi all,
I am due to fly out from JFK (NY) airport to Orlando tomorrow, Aug 15 @ 8am on Jet Blue FL#45. With hurricane Charley reaching the NY area tonight into tomorrow moring I am hearing from Jet Blue that they do not plan on cancelling anymore flights after this afternoon. What type of conditions can a plane fly in (like, max wind speeds, rain etc)? As you can see I am a nervous flyer and have some concerns. Besides that I am taking a cruise from Port Canaveral, FL and have to be there by 4pm tomorrow or I'm out $4K!!

I am flipping out over this, but we'll see..I guess.

Thanks

RE: Need some aviation help

You have nothing to worry about. I am not a big flyer, but fly from FL to Chicago about 10-12 times per year. I have flown through blizzards and tropical storms several times. Sometimes it gets a little bumpy, but its no big deal. These planes can take quite a beating. Your pilot also has an advantage of knowing exactly where the storms are and where not to fly. The stuff that scares me is the storm that comes out of nowhere and catches the pilot off guard.

Here is another point to ponder. During a hurricane the coast guard and weather service takes 50 year old military planes and they fly directly into the center of the storm. I have never heard of them losing a plane. If they can do it with an old outdated plane, then you can do it with the much newer more advanced plane. Dont sweat it.

Adam

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

There is nothing to worry about, the airlines are not about to risk the lives of passengers, their crews, or their reputations by flying in weather below certain conditions. There are very stringent rules in place regarding minimum weather conditions. They will never fly through the storms, as long as they can get over them you are fine. At the worst you will experience delays so call ahead and be sure the plane isn't delayed a few hours.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
... At the worst you will experience delays so call ahead and be sure the plane isn't delayed a few hours.
[/div]

Exactly what I was going to say. You may encounter turbulence at most.

I remember flying once(as passenger), I dozed off and awoke when the plane seemed to drop like a rock for a 100 feet or more! Stuff went all over the cabin, and after my heart settled back from my throat, I politely leaned over and picked up the magazine that the woman next to me had dropped. LOL! After a solid minute or two of quite heavy turbulence, the pilot finally acknowledged over the PA, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we may be experiencing some minor turbulence. We ask you return to your seats and fasten your seat belts." The 'Fasten Seat Belts' lights came on and the whole plane erupted in laughter. :7

ha... something tells me that after all these responses Anthony will want to take a bus!

I'm getting there Leo! But thanks for all the good advice everyone. I think we'll be Ok, I just love to panic about flying.

You know they even have windshield wipers on planes today. :+

Oh..you should be terrified, IMO. The turbulence puts tons of stress on the wings..and they'll actually start to flap like a bird's...that is right before they collapse and disintegrate. But that's the least of your worries. Jet fuel is alot like soda. When it gets shaken up, it wants to expand. Usually, it just explodes without warning, so you won't likely feel any pain. But other times, the fuel tank, the one underneath the passenger seating catches fire. But instead of exploding, it just sort of heats up and burns all the passengers to a crisp..like a huge convection oven. The seats melt, and stick to your skin. It's terrible. And I can only imagine what explosive, illegal things they've loaded into baggage. They do stuff like that all the time, to try and make extra money on flights that are undersold. Dynamite, compressed fuels, gunpowder, you name it, it's there. Man..you must be crazy wanting to fly so bad. Just be sure your insurance is paid up. Feel better now? :p

Thanks Ron, we can always count on you to lighten things up a bit! But it looks like Charley took a massive dump and is barely a tropical storm. I feel better now. See yall after I get back from my cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ochos Rios. Although now it looks like there will be another hurricane in the Florida area by next Sunday...oh brother here we go again!!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
You know they even have windshield wipers on planes today. :+
[/div]

Steve on most aircraft the windshield wipers are designed for ground operation only. And at the very most they have a maximum operational speed.

As far as the flying goes you will die. There is nothing more to it. Jack up the life insurance policy, make out the will and climb aboard.

All jokeing aside you'll be perfectly fine. I wouldn't think twice about it. Actually I'd be excited to fly though it. }(

HAHAHA Just don't walk to the bathroom with your Mc Donnalds bag full of food, and you'll be fine. ;-)

1995 DK BLUE Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK BLUE Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK HONDA CBR 600RR

Back