Anyone near Pompano Beach, FL? I need a favor...

Patrick

Registered
I've been eyeballing a Mark VIII at a dealership in Pompano Beach, but that's a bit of a hike from Richmond. I'm wondering if anybody could head over there and check it out for me. I could offer some compensation for both your time and gas expenses, I'm thinking around $50 but it's negotiable. I've been doing some soul-searching lately, and decided that I need a Mark VIII again. haha

This is the car in question.
eBay Motors link

Sorry for the long link, I'm on my phone on break from class right now. I'll update this post later with more information. It looks to be clean, and I'm just hoping that it's actually as good as it looks.

haha you were actually the first person who came to kind, Jamie! Thanks anyway, though. I'm half tempted to start haggling with them and possibly buy it sight unseen, but I just know that that's not a good idea, especially with a car over a decade old. I just want so badly to believe that it is in as good a condition mechanically as it is physically, and that a dealership wouldn't be offering a piece of junk for sale. Maybe lemon laws will be on my side? haha wishful thinking, but hopeful!

patrick, all i can say is that ebay seller has been selling mark VIII's for quite a long time, and amazingly clean ones, now i do not know them personally, and i am not plugging them, but from the 12 years i was into these cars so heavily, i have never seen nicer mark VIII's anywhere than i have seen come out of that dealer. they have sold some of the cleanest, most low mile pristine cars i would really have a hard time accepting them selling junk. i know pics can be decieving but that car looks no different than the other beauties i have seen them sell. i bought my 97 only after seeing pics and speaking to the owner, and i took my chances and flew to connecticut from fl to buy it, there really was no turning back after i got on the plane. one of the best things i ever bought! i also bought my 98 lsc that i have too just after seeing pics and talking to my buddy dan who looked at the car for me, again, i jumped on a plane and flew to n. carolina and drove it back, been a year and havent had a single problem with it, and it has 214k on it!! sometimes you just gotta take a chance, i have taken quite a few and have lucked out tremendously!

That was quite an endorsement, Jamie... ha! But it was just what I needed to hear. I've been weighing the pros and cons of buying it sight unseen, and having it turn into a money-pit is obviously the main con. However, one of the reasons that I'm so heavily considering a Mark VIII again is because the Jag is turning into quite the money pit as well, so worst case scenario, it's no different than it is now, except it'll be with a car that I like a lot more! Not to mention Mark VIIIs are a heck of a sight easier to work on.

Now I just need to convince myself to give 'em a call and see what's what.

call them, see if they have room to float the price a little, tell them you have to factor in a plane ticket, fuel, make sure the price you agree on is an out the door price, dont let them try to tack on dealer fees and crap once you fly down here. if you buy it, and insure it before you fly down, just bring the insurance card with you, and you can drive it back to richmond with no tag legally, as long as you have proof you bought it, and the car is insured you can drive it home. or they can give you a temp tag down here to get it back home, but thats just more money to spend.

I personally know the sellers and have sold them a few marks and town cars. It's probably a nice clean car. They're notorious for having nice cars. I'd call Joe and talk to him about it for a while ask all the little questions (seats move, not been wrecked and fixed ect.)

edit: from looking at the pics the front looks like it's been repainted. I'd ask specifically about body work.

I didn't notice any signs of repainting, but the hood looks slightly ajar. The passenger side of it sits up a bit.

So, aside from the things that you mentioned, George, what else would y'all recommend I ask? Obviously the rear neon, about the air suspension (does it sag any after sitting), perhaps whether there's any creaking when switching from heat to AC and vice versa? It's been too long since I've had a Mark VIII (almost a year and a half!) and, consequently, I'm starting to lose my touch. :( haha

Last edited:
any engine noise upon start up? hows it drive? all the power (seats,windows,locks work?) neon? HIDs? sunroof? any creaks or rattles in the suspension? that's all I can think of for now.

i wouldnt worry about timing chain rattle on start up, its nothing harmful for the motor its just more of one of them things that make us all say, what the hell was that noise!! most of them do it, they arent getting any younger, my 97 lsc does it with 160 on it, my 98 doesnt do it with 214k on it, its nothing to be concerned about.

I had saw they had a offer. keep your eyes open they'res bound to be another nice one soon. I'll keep my eyes open too

Back