popups

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
WTH! Why is it I NEVER get a "popup" in IE at work, but I am deluged with 'em at home?! OS? Win2K vs. Win98? ISDN vs. Cable?

RE: popups

I don't know of any built-in settings in IE for popups. But I use a laptop at work. I'm gonna plug it in here at home and try it. That may lead somewhere.

I used to use Opera, but ... BTW, I just got 2 more while replying to this thread! Arrrrrrrggggghh!

Taken from: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,2208816,00.html

========================================================

Most pop-up windows are written in JavaScript, so the easiest way to stop them is to disable JavaScript in your browser's settings.

In Netscape Navigator, under Settings, it's a checkbox marked 'Enable JavaScript.' In Microsoft's Internet Explorer, it's under Internet Options, Security tab. Select Custom, which will enable the Settings button. Hit that, then scroll down to Scripting. Under that you'll find a checkbox for 'disable scripting of Java applets.'

But be warned, disabling JavaScript will reduce some browser functionality, such as rollover graphics and text, and the self-starting music that some sites have. (On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing.)

========================================================

Also, if you're getting popups on this site, you must have some crap program installed that's spawning them. Look for BonzaiBuddy or Gator, in particular in your Add/Remove Programs menu. Delete them at once if you have them. (Whoever made these programs needs to be hit in the head with a shovel.)

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 - Scarlet Red coupe
[FONT COLOR=RED]>*> [link:www.markviii.org/~tonymueller|Tony's Internet Garage] <*<[/FONT]

I use a program called admuncher on all my computers. It costs a small amount, but works really, really well.

I also use Opera and have the pop ups off - if I go to a site and expect something to work that doesn't, I'll turn them on and see if that fixes it.

I like Ad Muncher becuase it includes text in the browser that says what it blocked, so you know if you missed something you might want.

Scott

I downloaded a free program called Spybot. It finds any tracking cookies or other spyware that have been loaded onto my drive and allows me to delete them. I run it about once a week, it has helped to solve my pop up problem. I also run the "Disc Cleanup" program (found in the "Programs" menu under "Accessories-System Tools") each night to clean out the "temporary internet files" that have loaded.
Hope this helps.

Well, I downloaded Ad-aware 6.0 and I'll see how it works staving off the popups. I've used SpyBot in the past, but Ad-aware certainly found a lot more 'hits' than SpyBot ever did. Time will tell.

I don't know how this ever worked out for you, but I can assure you that you should NOT be getting popups in this site! It has nothing to do with your browser or your OS. If you are getting popups here, you've absolutely positively got adware or spyware running on your computer. Spybot and Ad-aware should detect them. Just be sure you've got the latest version and updated files for them. An old version won't do you any good.

And stay the hell away from the free version of Kazaa for one. It automatically installs spyware. Gator is another one that's evil. You'll see their popups on certain free web sites. They give you this popup that looks like an alert you get when you need to install a plugin, but if you aren't paying attention and click Yes, it'll install their spyware crap. The people from Gator should be tarred and set on fire in front of their children. Not that I feel strongly about it or anything... ;-)

Xupiter is right up there with Gator.

For me, the combination of Spybot and AdAware seem to be keeping things in check. Spybot previously run by itself would let quite a few spyware bots get by.

What browser do you use then?

I Have Mozilla installed but I find that IE is much snappier when surfing/loading pages. Really the only problem I have with IE is that it doesnt display transparent ".png" images correctly, other than that i thik its a fine browser.

One other note - if you have a teen in the house, get him/her their own PC & password protect yours in CMOS. Our 15 year old can transform a well mannered PC to an ad-popping, non-recognizable desktop in a very short time. With 5 PCs in the house, I know.

Just don't let those popup stoppers hide the fact that you've got adware on your system. If you disable your popup stopper and browse this forum and you get popups, you've definitely got adware or spyware on your PC. This site doesn't use popups anywhere, period.

Lemme chime in my $.02..........

1. Popup Killer, i use "Meaya Popup Ad Filter" (Not free, but very good)
2. Make sure you run "Spybot" or "Adaware" (both have available free versions) atleast once a week
3. Run a good anti virus, a good free one is "AVG Anti Virus"
4. As for Kazaa, never run Kazaa, always make sure you download "Kazaa Lite", it contains no spyware and runs alot faster than Kazaa.
5. Disable the "messaging" service in 2000/XP, it can be disabled in services, no it doesnt disable MSN Messanger, it just disables the Windows messaging service, so your system isnt comprimised and people cant send spam directly to your desktop.
6. IE is not a crappy browser....

Well Like most of you, I was having a problem with popups as well. Seems over the last month or so it has been real bad. Of course using road runner may have something to do with that. But there is no way I'd go back to dial up.
I downloaded the Ad-ware program and pop ups are gone. Boy that was nice to see.
Having kids in the house getting some of those pop ups were bad. Haven't had any since I ran the Ad-ware program.

Not all teenagers screw up computers as you guys may think. Im 16, and my computer is as neat as it could possibly be. I keep all my folders organized, I run Ad-Aware and a anti virus, make sure i Google programs before I download them to make sure they dont have Spyware and run Kazaa Lite++ and eMule. For my messaging needs, I run Trillian since it combines all the IM programs, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, and ICQ into one program, and I like the fact that Trillian automatically logs everyo conversation automatically. Granted it may be because I have a boatload of computer knowledge, but I still hate to see unorganized, messy computers.

You guys might wanna try out "RegCleaner" one of these days, it cleans the registry of unused key/values and could speed up your computer if you have enough unecessary entries.

Back