Re-wiring behind Dash

DavidCC

Registered
The wires leading to my BOO switch on my brake pedal are so brittle and old that I have been unable (despite many attempts) to fix it. The wire broke off the switch. it is not good driving without it - TC doesn't unlock right, my auto-start won't turn off, cruise control on't disengage, can't get out of Park, and oh yeah NO BRAKE LIGHTS!

I want to run a new wire from wherever it comes from to the switch. It appears I will have to remove the entire dash to do so. Is this correct?

What is involved in removing the dash? I know it is difficult. Anyone have instructions? Is the car drivable half-way through this job? (that is, with the dash off)??? Is this a job I can do or is there some comlpexity I am not aware of and I should just pay an expert???

Also, is there an override for the shifter lock???

Please help!
David

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black
dynoed at 247.5hp / 259.7ft-lb!

RE: Re-wiring behind Dash

the dashboard is a pain in the ass but it's not too difficult. I don't think you really need to pull it to redo the wires you're talking about. Just remove the panels by the drivers legs and you should have enough access to work on those wires. Just remember, solder and heat shrink tubing! No twisting and taping!

I've spent hours up under there with all the panels off. I've spliced it twice (once with crimpers thingamabobs and once with twist and tape) Neitehr held for more than a day or two.

I need to get all the way to where the wire leads from and replace the entire length. it is too brittle and too far up in the dash for me to even strip it again. maybe if it were sitting on a table in the garage I might be able to fix the existing wire but it's wouldn't last...

always solder. Getting the dash off is a bitch. I have had it almost off and it was far from easy getting it off. You will have to take the console out, the front seats, then go at it. I wish you luck. Getting it all the way off and all the way back on is an easy 1.5day journey.

Does any one have instructions on removing the dash.

My dash was re-installed after an airbag replacement with one of the mounting clips on the outside/top of the dash instead of inside.

The airbag was replaced by the previous owner, 1 day before I bought the car and I did not notice the clip for awhile.

[font color=blue]I might have a better solution.....would you like the wiring harness that goes to that specific piece? If so, I have one of my junk '93....just let me know.[/font]
[/quote]

I don't know, honestly. I think I still need to take the dash off to replace my harness with yours... or am I missing something? Please elaborate...

Can the car be driven with the dash off? or do I need a couple days of "no car time"?? Is that a stupid question haha please answer it anyway :p

I don't think that's going to help much... what I really need is details on how to remove the dash, and why it is so freakin difficult (-_0)

The dash isn't all that difficult. You have to drop the steering column, remove the seats and console, unbolt the dash, move it backward and undo all the wiring. I did it once to fix a rattle (my friends told me i was crazy). If you want more detailed instructions, www.alldatadiy.com is the reference i used to do it.

wow! what a neat site. PM me your password LOL!

I would, except it's the same password i use for everything else.

Back