Why will my computer no longer turn on?

MaddShadez

Registered
A few weeks ago I came home to find my computer off and unable to turn back on. Having had this problem a few years back i replaced the power supply but it still wouldn't turn on. I checked the power wires into the wall socket and everything seems to check out. if i unplug it for a while then plug it back in and try to start, i'll here a quick whine (half a second) like it wants to start, but then nothing. Thinking the mobo was frid i replaced it as well, but with no luck. I'm sick of throwing money at it, what in the world could be wrong?

RE: Why will my computer no longer turn on?

A bad CPU would give you beeps, so it's not that.

The only thing I can think of is a bad wall socket. Have you tried another outlet?

Sound like your CPU.
My computer did that last year, I sent the cpu back to AMD to get a new one.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Sound like your CPU.My computer did that last year, I sent the cpu back to AMD to get a new one.
[/div]

I thought the system beeps at you when the CPU can't be read.

I replaced the cpu with the mobo, still no luck. I have also tried different outlets to no avail. I'm totally stumped!

The newer cases/motherboards have provisions for the double on switch. Are you SURE you have power at the exact plug you are using? Unplug your computer and plug a lamp into that same outlet....not the one above/below it, the same ac outlet the computer was plugged in to. If the lamp is okay, then replug in your computer and make sure the power switch is also on at back of computer as well as the power button on front.

If it STILL won't come on, you'll need a volt-ohm meter and start checking for you voltages coming from power supply. At this point, I'd replace power supply....again! That that one back..let them prove to you it's okay.

OH!! One more thing I've had go bad was the power switch on front of computer....had to replace it...

Good luck!

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

And worst case scenario - your house may not be grounded correctly. Ordinary appliances may work like lamps and TVs, but complicated ones may have problems.

I vote for the power switch.

I was building a new one several years back and came across a faulty 'power on' switch. I basically swapped the plugs at the MB for the reset switch and power switch and used the reset switch to power on the PC until we got a replacement.

sorry, i only have a working computer at work now :-(

Last night i changed all the cables around to different outlets to no avail. the monitor, stero, everything else works but the cpu. I switchted the power switch and reset switch wires, and nada. On a whim i swapped back to the old supposedly bust power supply, and suddenly it will turn on BUT now windows will not load at all??? it gets to a black screen telling me windows was not properly shut down and i have the usual options (start normally, safe mode, etc) each option causes the computer to reboot. there shouldn;t be any software problems so why will windows now not work? Anybody know a good preist to clean the demons from my computer??

I think I had similar problems when my graphics card went out.

What is your OS and do you have the cd/dvd (installation media)? make and model of MB? How much free space on your HD?

cigar51
98 LSC 56K
98 Sienna 77K
85 F-150 120K
80 CJ7 alot

win xp, i do have the disk, can't think of the mobo off the top of my head, it's all at home, and i've got around 100 free gigs of HD space free.

I joked with the wife that it may be the video card as it's the only thing i haven't replaced yet, it was supposed to be a joke, i can't afford another one :-(

win xp, i do have the disk, can't think of the mobo off the top of my head, it's all at home, and i've got around 100 free gigs of HD space free.I joked with the wife that it may be the video card as it's the only thing i haven't replaced yet, it was supposed to be a joke, i can't afford another one :-(
[/div]

You could always buy one and try it...then return it.

Update now that the kid is up: Mine was the processor AND the graphics card. I don't know if one caused the other, but I overheated the processor.

i guess my main question is why would a video card stop windows from even loading?

i guess my main question is why would a video card stop windows from even loading?
[/div]

If the CMOS cannot detect a video device, it doesn't bother getting past the POST screen. However, the computer should beep at you a number of times depending on what your problem is. For a video failure I think it is two beeps, but I could be wrong.

Have you got a different hard drive to put in it? A bad HD will cause some weird symptoms like you've had. I'd disconnect the HD first and let it boot on the windows disk....or better yet, leave HD connected and boot on the XP disk. Can you get into the BIOS and reset it to boot on CD Rom drive first?

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

sorry i'm late, i haven't had access to a computer in a while. I ordered a small little video card to see if that will do the trick. I tried booting from the windows disk but with no luck. I do have a second bare hard drive, if the new video card does not work I guess i will try reinstalling windows.

Back