Transmission Help

eclipse086

Registered
Thanks for the help, I got the tranny out of the car and noticed that the nose of the tranny was loose, the bolts were finger tight and it was moving a bit. The output shaft was also a bit loose (IS THIS NORMAL?) or should it be as tight as the input? I am replacing the torque convertor, could that have caused this? I drove it with the moderate shudder for a while (2 Months), and yes I did replace the tranny fluid before taking the tranny out. It was leaking quite a bit of fluid, my guess from the nose. Any suggestions of things to do while tranny is out? I may take it to a shop for inspection.
Thanks for any help,
James

RE: Transmission Help

Thanks for the help, I got the tranny out of the car and noticed that the nose of the tranny was loose, the bolts were finger tight and it was moving a bit. The output shaft was also a bit loose (IS THIS NORMAL?) or should it be as tight as the input? I am replacing the torque convertor, could that have caused this? I drove it with the moderate shudder for a while (2 Months), and yes I did replace the tranny fluid before taking the tranny out. It was leaking quite a bit of fluid, my guess from the nose. Any suggestions of things to do while tranny is out? I may take it to a shop for inspection.
Thanks for any help,
James

When you say the "Nose was loose"? Do you mean the front pump area where the input shaft is? Or do you mean the bell housing bolts where the trans meets the block?

The output shaft is a "floater" so yes that is normal to be loose.

Where do you live, James? Maybe there's someone nearby who has dealt with these trannies who wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you.

I live in Lexington KY, By the nose, I mean the caseing around the output shaft held on by i believe 6 13mm bolts at the opposite end from the bell housing.

Mine is on the bench now for a converter change. I will check them, the only problem is I will not be at the shop till this weekend.

Has anyone else removed their tranny to find that the bolts on the nose piece were loose?
Yes, this happened to me recently. I started noticing what I thought was the usual Mercon III breakdown shudder, followed by an increasingly bad fluid leak. I checked the bellhousing inspection hole for signs of a front pump seal leak, but it was dry. After further inspection, I found that the output shaft housing bolts had loosened, causing the vibration and leak. I tightened the bolts and did a complete change to Mercon V for good measure. The vibration and the leak stopped. I'm not sure what caused the bolts to loosen in the first place, but I suspect it may have been driveshaft imbalance. I have a '96 LSC with 3.27 gears, and I do get on it occasionally, although it generally takes lower gears like 4.10s for driveshaft imbalance to be a problem.

While you have the tranny out, make sure you change the tailshaft bushing, if the extension housing was loose.

Back