Trac-lock & Trac-control

Dick Hughes

Registered
Would much prefer a trac-loc rear (like the T-bird SC) vs. the Trac-control in my 98 Mark, which already has 3.73s. What happens to the existing trac-control when trac-loc is installed? Does it need to be disconnected or deleted from the system? Any info on this welcome.

RE: Trac-lock & Trac-control

Two completely different animals.

Nothing will interfere with the car's traction control with installation of a traction lock differential. The traction lock differential mechanically routes torque as required with clutches in the differential. The Mark VIII Gen2 traction control uses a combination of brake application and engine control to reduce wheelspin.

If you get on it enough to break traction in a corner it MIGHT act weird, but it's nothing to be concerned about.

The only problem would be if you installed smaller tires in the back than in the front. I currently have on my car 245/50/16's in back and 225/60/16's in front, and that minor difference in height is enough to totally mess up the traction control.

I have 3.73 gears and traction lock in my 97. I have to turn off my traction control or it kicks in when I turn a corner.

I just put new tires on my '97, and they are now the same size all around. With the traction lock and 4.10's, i get no problems from the traction control.

When i had mismatched tires on the car (245/50s out back, 225/60's up front) i could not use the traction control, as it would kick in and not shut off.

Jack, what size tires do you run, and are they the same size and brand all the way around? (i've seen different manufacturers tires of the same size vary significantly).

I don't understand the reason behind this error. Did you ever find out why it was?

the problem i was having? it was because the front tires had about a 3% larger circumference, meaning the rear tire had to go about 3% faster to keep up. That was just enough to set off the traction control (with a vengeance).

Jack, what size tires do you run, and are they the same size and brand all the way around? (i've seen different manufacturers tires of the same size vary significantly).

That might be my problem. I've got stock size Michelin's on the front and BFG drag radials (255/50/16's) on the rear. Of course, as long as I turn off the traction control I can spin them as much as I want.

Back