cross over tube removal

95blklsc

Registered
I'm planning on taking out the coolant cross over tube in front of the alternator to paint it. It looks terrible :eek: , the paint is peeling and everything. I assume there are some o-rings sealing it that I will have to replace, can those be bought at the ford dealer?

I'm assuming the removal goes something like this:

Take off alternator

remove the two bolts holding on the tube

remove the radiator hoses

pull the crossover tube

Any tips for this, I don't expect it to be any big deal but I don't want any surprises either. Any info appreciated!! :7

RE: cross over tube removal

so no probs with the o-rings at all? I'm just assuming since they 9 yars old they won't be in that good of shape when I pull it out.

I don't think you'll need to actually remove the alternator. Probably just the two bolts that go into the alternator.

The o-rings would likely be fine if you were real careful about putting it back together. I wouldn't count on it though. The ford dealer might have them, or you might have to pull one off and head to the hardware store to find something that matches.

The crossover tube is pretty simple to remove, but it can be a PITA. Sometimes it likes to stick in there.

If your car is a 95, and it was never removed, it won't be that easy. A piece of long 2x4 from the bottom, and a hammer help a lot. Get new orings, they will be 99% shot.
Plus they only cost like what 50 cents. Better safe than sorry. Good luck.

cool......thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to prepare for the worest and hope for the best. If it's too much of a pain in the ass i'll paint the damn thing in place. It just looks so terrible because the paint is flaking off after this past winter.

I just did it last weekend.

Your leaving out the torch or heat gun, pry bar, 2x4, heavy hammer and lots of swearing, as it is probably rusted nice and tight. Good luck.

If you take it out, spend the money some chroming or anodizing to make the effort worth it.

Bryan
MonsterMark

I had a hell of a time getting it out of my '94. It wasn't too bad in my '97, and it was cake the second time around.

I had a real hard time getting it out! I sprayed WD-40 and placed a 2x4 in there to pop it out and it didn't even budge. Well, that's because I forgot to remove the two bolts holging it down :p . The hardest parts for me were tring not to spill coolant everywhere and trying not to scratch the new paint when I installed it.

I left the crossover tube polished the first time. It looks good but the joints that are welded together are welded with a copper type of metal, so its not 100% bling bling. It also lost shine as the days past, I was polishing it every couple of days. Paint it or go get it chromed so you don't have to worry about it.

[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________ http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/forums/images/badass.gif
94 Mark VIII
David J

I was just planning on painting it black then clear coat it. Maby polish it then clear coat it :7

Just get it powdercoated after you get it bead blasted. Then no worries about ever becomming faded again. i did the front two brackets that hold the air conditioning pump, and alternator, and coil pack brackets also in the same color. Heres the link...

http://www.gfxhost.com/is.php?i=24786&img=IMG_0014.jpg

1995 DK BLUE Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK BLUE Chevrolet 1500
1979 WHITE Trans AM w/455
2004 BLACK HONDA CBR 600RR

Back